Paying your fare
Going back to school on transit? Here’s what you need to know as you head back to class:
- When riding the TTC, please wear a mask that covers your nose, mouth and chin and use all doors to board TTC vehicles. Stay home if you feel sick.
- Plan your route. Before you head out, learn about the most frequently travelled routes, alternate routes, and current construction or service advisories that may affect your trip.
- While travelling in subway stations, look for TTC representatives who can help you find your way.
- If you are a Post-Secondary Student, get your TTC-issued photo ID card and carry it with you.
- Connect with us on social media to receive real-time service updates.
Travel and Safety Tips
- Follow directions from TTC representatives who are there to help you find your way.
- Remove your headphones in stations so you can hear announcements.
- Never go down onto the tracks for any reason. If you drop something, such as your cell phone, leave it and tell a TTC uniformed employee who will make arrangements to retrieve it.
- Allow other customers to exit before boarding.
- Move to the back of the bus/streetcar or to the centre of the train. Don’t block the doors.
- Remove your backpack and place it on your lap or on the floor.
- When boarding vehicles on the street, cross only at intersections or pedestrian crossings, obey all crossing signals and remain visible to vehicles while crossing the road.
- Read more on Travelling Safely and COVID-19 FAQs. Safety is our priority.
- Post-Secondary Monthly Passes are available for students enrolled in a full-time degree or diploma program in a recognized Post-Secondary institution located within the City of Toronto. You must also have your current TTC Post-Secondary Photo ID when using a Post-Secondary Monthly Pass.
- Visit the Bathurst Station Photo ID Centre to get your photo ID.
- Students between 16 and 19 years of age need to carry valid identification. If you are between the ages of 13 and 15, you do not require identification (children 12 years of age and under ride free
Connect with us
Stay up to date on service disruptions. Before heading out on transit:
- Check TTC.ca for Service Alerts
- Follow @TTCnotices
- Sign-up for route-specific My TTC e-Alerts
- Download Transit App for next vehicle information.