Accessible Customer Service Training Requirements
For Contractors, Consultants and other service providers
- The TTC supports the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), 2005 and is committed to providing equal treatment and equitable benefits of the TTC’s services, programs and facilities in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities.
- Under section 6 of the Accessibility Standard for Customer Service, O, Reg. 429/07, established by the AODA, the TTC must ensure that employees, volunteers and all other personnel, including third party Contractors, who deal with members of the public or other third parties on behalf of the TTC or, who participate in developing the TTC policies, practices or procedures on the provision of goods and services receive training on accessible customer service.
- All personnel must complete training that meets the requirements of the Accessible Customer Service regulation and includes:
- an overview of the AODA;
- Understanding the requirements of the Regulation;
- How to interact and communicate with persons with various types of disabilities;
- How to interact with persons with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a guide dog or other service animal or the assistance of a support;
- How to use equipment or devices available on the provider’s premises or otherwise provided by the provider to people with disabilities to access goods or services; and
- What to do if a person with a particular type of disability is having difficulty accessing the provider’s goods or services.
- Third party Contractors and other service providers are to ensure that training records are maintained, including dates when training is provided, the number of personnel who received training and individual training records. Contractors are required to ensure that this information is available, if requested by the TTC’s Representative.
- For more information:
- How to comply with the Accessible Customer Service Standard at: https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-make-customer-service-accessible
- Requirements of the Accessible Standards for Customer Service (Ontario Regulation 429/07):