Starting this Sunday, Feb. 18 and throughout 2018, the TTC's 505 Dundas and 506 Carlton routes will be served by buses instead of streetcars. Also starting Feb. 18, streetcars will return to the 511 Bathurst and 503 Kingston Rd routes.
These changes are necessary to provide uninterrupted service because of a reduction in the number of streetcars available for service, as well as during numerous road construction projects along the 505 and 506 routes this year, including:
- TTC track construction on Broadview Ave. starting in May
- TTC track construction at the intersections of Broadview Ave. and both Gerrard St. E. and Dundas St. E. in summer 2018
- TTC track construction at Dundas St. W. and Lansdowne Ave. in September
- City water main and streetscape work between Bathurst St. and Huron St. in September
- TTC construction at Gerrard St. E. and Parliament St. in May
- Main Street Station construction through the summer of 2018.
The TTC will monitor both routes throughout the year and re-assess service based on fleet availability and construction work.
In order to maintain passenger capacity during the busy morning and afternoon rush hours, between 27 and 30 buses will replace the 18-19 streetcars on 505 Dundas and 42-45 buses will replace the 30-32 streetcars usually servicing the 506 Carlton. To speed up service, the buses on these routes will operate using Proof of Payment and all-door boarding.
During this replacement, several other routes will see vehicle changes in order to meet the required number of buses. Streetcars return to both the 511 Bathurst and 503 Kingston Rd. routes. 503 Kingston Rd. will also operate 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday, traveling as far as Spadina Ave. on King St. This will add passenger capacity and reducing crowding on most of the King St. Pilot Project corridor.
For a full list of route changes effective Feb. 18, visit ttc.ca.
Also, this Family Day weekend, customers can purchase a Day Pass for one day of unlimited travel on the TTC. From Saturday, Feb. 17 to Monday, Feb. 19, individuals or groups can explore the city for one day for just $12.50. Children 12 and under always ride for free.
Learn more about the TTC Day Pass at www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Passes/Day_Pass/index.jsp