This weekend, October 31 to November 1, there will be no subway service on a portion of Line 1 between St Clair West and Downsview stations only as the TTC undertakes signal upgrades, part of the TTC’s commitment to modernization.
The existing signals, relays, wiring and cabling equipment, much of which is over 60 years old, need replacing as their failure significantly impacts service. Once Automatic Train Control is fully installed and operational, customers will see improved frequency of subway service, less crowding and greater reliability of the signal system.
Frequent replacement buses will operate between St Clair West and Downsview stations. Wheel-Trans buses will be available to accommodate customers who need them.
Downsview, Wilson, Yorkdale, Lawrence West, Eglinton West and St Clair West stations will be open for customers to purchase fares. Glencairn Station will be closed.
Alternate routes to subway service on Line 1 include:
- 84 Sheppard West bus from Downsview Station to Sheppard-Yonge Station.
- 96 Wilson bus from Wilson Station to York Mills Station.
- 52 Lawrence West bus from Lawrence West Station to Lawrence Station.
- 14 Glencairn bus from Glencairn Station to Davisville Station.
- 32 Eglinton West bus from Eglinton West Station to Eglinton Station.
- 512 St Clair Streetcar from St Clair West Station to St Clair Station.
Regular subway and streetcar service resumes on Monday, November 2 at 6 a.m.
Between now and the end of this year, there are a number of further weekend subway closures scheduled for maintenance and other work. Subject to change, there will be no subway service on Line 2 between St George and Keele stations on November 7-8, November 21-22 and December 5-6 and between St George and St Clair West stations on November 14. The TTC thanks its customers for their patience and understanding during all subway closures.