Advisory Committee On Accessible Transit Subcommittees
The Communications Subcommittee reviews communication materials related to accessibility and the use of TTC services by seniors and people with disabilities. The Subcommittee is responsible for reviewing and making recommendations to ACAT on the following:
- Provide advice on the development of marketing and communications materials related to accessibility
- Standards for communication materials (font, colour, etc.)
- TTC website as it relates to accessibility
The Subcommittee also provides advice on the development of Wheel-Trans newsletters and other communications/marketing materials targeted to registrants of the to-the-door service, the Easier Access brochure and similar materials.
Members of the Communication Subcommittee may work on joint initiatives with members of the Design Review and/or Service Planning Subcommittees. The Subcommittee works with staff representatives from Customer Communications and Wheel-Trans.
2. Design Review
The Design Review Subcommittee assists with recommendations for accessible design improvements at the TTC. The Subcommittee considers functional and economic constraints, construction schedules, TTC Board approval requirements and other issues when developing recommendations for the consideration of staff and ACAT.
The Subcommittee is responsible for reviewing and making recommendations on:
- Design improvements to TTC vehicles and facilities, including features for people with disabilities and seniors
- Design improvements to transit-related City infrastructure, including on-street transit stops and platforms
- TTC accessible design standards
- Easier Access initiatives and priorities
Subcommittee members may participate in site visits to TTC subway stations, transit stops, maintenance facilities, and other locations in the City of Toronto, as needed to advise on improvements to stations, stops, and vehicles.
Members of the Design Review Subcommittee work with TTC representatives from Strategy and Service Planning.
3. Service Planning
The Service Planning Subcommittee provides staff and ACAT with advice on planning, policy and procedure matters related to training, operations, fares, and other issues related to accessibility.
The Service Planning Subcommittee is responsible for reviewing and making recommendations on the following:
- TTC Multi-Year Accessibility Plan and Accessibility Plan Status Reports
- Annual TTC Public Forum on Accessible Transit
- Bus, streetcar and subway operational procedures
- Training matters
- Policy development including AODA compliance
- Corporate issues (i.e., fares)
Subcommittee members may participate in emergency simulations and other related activities, as requested by TTC staff.
The Service Planning Subcommittee works with TTC representatives from Strategy and Service Planning.
4. Wheel-Trans Operations
The Wheel-Trans Subcommittee provides advice on Wheel-Trans operational and service issues, including to-the-door services within Toronto and the interface with those crossing the municipal boundary, and TTC community bus services.
The Wheel-Trans Operations Subcommittee is responsible for reviewing and making recommendations to ACAT on the following:
- Quality and quantity of to-the-door service
- Community bus routes/service
- Registration processes and procedures
- Toronto and cross-boundary paratransit services
- Cancellation/no-show policies
- Paratransit vehicle design
- Wheel-Trans scheduling/reservations/dispatch/customer service
The subcommittee works with staff representatives from Wheel-Trans.
5. Administration – ACAT Executive Only
The Administration Subcommittee is comprised of the ACAT Chair, Co-Vice Chairs, and TTC staff, and is responsible for the following:
- Agenda setting
- Terms of Reference review
- Procedures review
- Orientation of new members
- Recruitment and outreach
- Public events
- Board meetings review
- Communications to the TTC Board
TTC staff and the ACAT Executive will work to achieve consensus on all matters before the Administration Subcommittee.