Russell Carhouse Upgrades
Timeline: Ongoing – February, 2025
*Content / timeline accurate at time of posting.
What we are doing and why:
To improve streetcar service, the expansion of TTC’s streetcar fleet requires additional maintenance & storage space. TTC is upgrading storage capacity at streetcar yards across the City. As part of this program, TTC will be modifying the carhouse and storage area at Russell Yard. Please view the Community Update for background on the project.
What is happening:
The Russell Yard upgrade project includes:
- Replacing all yard tracks with concrete-embedded track rail and switches
- Providing track lubrication to all storage tracks to reduce streetcar noise (wheel squeal).
- Replacing all underground utility services and providing a storm water retention management system.
- Upgrading the overhead electrical system for streetcar pantograph operations.
To maintain service for TTC customers, construction is completed in stages.
- Concrete/track work removal and excavation in the eastern part of the yard, daily until November 2023*. A concrete breaker, backhoe, and dump truck will typically run weekdays between 7 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Vibration and noise, typically associated with construction is expected during road compaction and caisson installation.
- Augering will be carried out at locations around the perimeter of the yard to allow for future pole installation. Additional lighting will be installed
- Starting as early as July 21, 2023 for a period of approximately 8 weeks, overnight streetcar rail replacement work is scheduled to re-commence. Work will begin in the eastern portion of the yard and move towards the west and southern portion of the yard.
- Crews must work around the clock on track installation specifically, to ensure effective concrete curing and long-term quality of the rails. Crews are pre-assembling as much rail as possible at an offsite location to expedite the process and reduce the amount of work for assembly in the yard. The assembly and installation of the new track includes rail cutting, rail welding, and fastening the rails in place, followed by concrete work. Construction vehicles are equipped with a backup alarm, and staff will work to limit the reversing of vehicles during night work.
- The western portion of the Russell Carhouse Yard will undergo the same scope of work from November 2023* to February 2025*.
Concrete and track work removal and excavation is ongoing at the TTC Russell Carhouse
Traffic and pedestrian access:
- During the tracks replacement and maintenance work, trucking material off-site/ truck traffic will be routed along Queen St. E. /Eastern Ave., and may cause only temporary impacts to traffic lanes and on-street parking. Traffic control on Queen St. E. and Eastern Ave. at Russell Carhouse will be in place.
- Pedestrian and traffic detours will be in place.
Noise, dust, vibration and work hours:
- Noise, dust, and vibration associated with construction can be expected with this work. Efforts will be made to keep levels to a minimum.
- The majority of work will take place between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., as required. As permitted, overnight and weekend work will be required during the course of this project.
- Some work will take place on a 24/7 basis during the course of this project to ensure effective quality of rail installation.
TTC Service Impacts:
- No service impacts are expected as a part of the work. Additional streetcars are being dispatched from TTC’s two other streetcar maintenance/storage facilities: Leslie Barns and Roncesvalles Carhouse.
- Kingston Road/Queen Street East Streetcar Loop:
- The Kingston/Queen Loop is being used more frequently as a result of these works. Through the end of 2023, streetcars leaving the Russell Yard must exit eastbound on Queen Street East, and loop back westbound at the Kingston/Queen Loop towards their route.
Connaught Ave/Queen St. East impacts:
- Until the end of August, TTC will install the upgraded overhead power system on Connaught Ave. and on the trailer tracks near Queen St. East (outbound tracks). The majority of work will take place between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., as required. As permitted, some overnight and weekend work will be required.
Carhouse extension and modifications (start date: as early as 2025 – 2028, TBD*):
- Construct the west extension of the carhouse to allow for an additional maintenance bay for new streetcars.
- Upgrade the existing carhouse building to accommodate new streetcars.
- Reconfigure maintenance tracks and pits in the carhouse for maintenance.
If you are interested in receiving updates about this project, please email your contact information to the project's Community Liaison Officer.
Please be sure to include your name, address (including city and postal code), phone number and email address. Also, please let us know how you prefer to be contacted – by email, regular mail or both.
Senior Community Liaison Officer