Waterfront Transit Network Expansion
What we're doing
The Waterfront Transit Network Expansion project includes expansion of the Union Station streetcar loop, modifications to the underground section from the station to Queens Quay, expansion and/or improvements to Queen’s Quay Station, construction of a new running tunnel and portal east of Bay on Queen’s Quay, and a new at-grade streetcar line extending to Cherry Street. The project is divided into two main focus areas:
- Focus Area 1 – below-grade works, which include the expansion of the existing Union and Queens Quay LRT stations, new running tunnel and portal, and associated track works.
- Focus Area 2 (A and B) – at-grade works, including ancillary surface/public realm and an at-grade section of the streetcar extension, along Queens Quay from the new tunnel portal to Cherry Street with connection to existing TTC Distillery Streetcar Loop.
- Notice of Completion under the TPAP anticipated in late 2021.
- Stage Gate 3, or approximately 30% design, is projected for Q1 2022. The approval of Stage Gate 3 will establish the overall project performance baseline definition for project scope, schedule and cost, as well as determine the best project delivery strategy, which includes potential phased implementation of transit improvements.
- Major construction is not expected to begin until further funding is secured.
On February 19, 2020, City Council approved the TTC’s 2020-2029 Capital Budget, which includes $27 million to complete the Preliminary Design and Engineering phase of the Waterfront Transit Network Expansion, Focus Area 1.
City of Toronto Reports
- Update on the City's Transit Expansion Projects – Fourth Quarter 2020 (November 26, 2020)
- Attachment 1 - Eglinton East Light Rail Transit and the Waterfront Transit Network (November 26, 2020)
- Toronto's Transit Expansion Program - Update and Next Steps (April 2, 2019)
- Attachment 3 - Waterfront Transit Network – Union Station – Queens Quay Link and East Bayfront LRT (April 2, 2019)
TTC Board Reports