ACAT Meeting


Meeting Info

Date:Thursday, November 29, 2018
Location:1900 Yonge Street, 7th Floor Boardroom
Meeting No:336
  • Agenda
  • Meeting Minutes

Agenda is not available for this meeting.
Please check the meeting minutes for meeting details.

Present

  • Raymond Dell’Aera, Chair
  • Mazin Aribi, Co-Vice Chair
  • Angela Rebeiro, Co-Vice Chair
  • Louise Bark
  • Mary Burton
  • Anita Dressler
  • Debbie Gillespie
  • Jessica Geboers
  • Angela Marley
  • Lynn McCormick
  • Marian McDonell
  • Bobbi Moore
  • Craig Nicol
  • Lauri Sue Robertson

Pool Members

  • Scott McArthur
  • Igor Samardzic

Regrets

  • Thomas Richardson

TTC Representatives

  • Matt Hagg, Senior Planner – System Accessibility
  • Lodon Hassan, Assistant Manager – Customer Service, Wheel-Trans
  • Heather Brown, Manager - Customer Communications
  • Alicia Sgromo, Project Coordinator, Communications
  • Dan Wright, Chief Financial Officer
  • Kathleen Barrett, Wheel-Trans Transformation Program
  • Dwayne Geddes, Manager - Customer Service, Wheel-Trans
  • Aislin O’Hara, Project Lead – Customer Service, Wheel-Trans
  • Lynn Middleton, Divisional Manager – Wheel-Trans
  • Shari Wills, Divisional Assistant Manager, Bus Transportation

Copies

  • Rick Leary, Chief Executive Officer
  • Kirsten Watson, Acting Deputy CEO/Chief Customer Officer
  • Collie Greenwood, Acting Chief Service Officer
  • Susan Reed Tanaka, Chief Capital Officer
  • Dan Wright, Chief Financial Officer
  • Brad Ross, Executive Director – Corporate Communications
  • James Ross, Acting Chief Operating Officer
  • Eve Wiggins, Head of Wheel-Trans
  • Jacqueline Darwood, Head of Strategy & Service Planning
  • Deborah Brown, Acting Head of Customer Communications
  • TTC Board Member

1. Call to Order / Attendance

Raymond Dell’Aera, ACAT Chair, called the meeting to order at 1:12 p.m. and attendance was taken.

2. Declaration of Conflict of Interest

Nil.

3. Approval of Agenda

On motion by Debbie Gillespie and seconded by Louise Bark, the agenda was approved with the following additions, under New Business.

  • Motion Regarding Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit (ECLRT) Elevator Control Panel Location
  • Report on Educational Presentation to Wheel-Trans Staff Regarding Cognitive Disabilities
  • Review of ACAT Talking Points in Training Sessions
  • Access to Wheel-Trans During Santa Claus Parade and Scotiabank Marathon
  • Update on Wheel-Trans Phone System

4. Remarks from ACAT Chair Raymond Dell’Aera

Raymond Dell’Aera stated that the TTC Public Forum on Accessible Transit will on December 13, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at the Metro Toronto Convention Center (MTCC). He stated that the ACAT table at the forum needs to be stationed with volunteers.

Raymond Dell’Aera informed ACAT members that new memberships for ACAT have been deliberated. The new members will be introduced at the TTC Board meeting to be held on December 18, 2018, where outgoing members will also be recognized.

Raymond Dell’Aera reported that a comment was made during one of the mandatory information sessions for prospective members that ACAT’s meeting hours do not accommodate prospective members who work full-time and are therefore discriminatory. The ACAT Executive subsequently sought the opinion of TTC’s Diversity and Human Rights Department, who responded that not holding meetings during non-working hours does not constitute a Human Rights issue. Raymond reiterated that being a member of ACAT is a privilege and not a right. He stated that late afternoons work best for current ACAT members, allow for staff participation, and accommodate site inspections and other events which must be done in the daytime.

Raymond Dell’Aera gave an update about the Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA) Conference that he attended with Co-Vice Chair Mazin Aribi. The Cross-Canada conference included site and facility tours, presentations, and discussions about a wide variety of transit-related topics, some of which were related to accessibility. He sent a special thank you to TTC CEO Rick Leary for the invitation to Mazin and himself. The hope is continued participation with CUTA in the future.

5. Review and Approval of October 25, 2018 Minutes

On a motion by Angela Marley and seconded by Anita Dressler, the minutes of the October 25, 2018 meeting were approved with the following amendments:

  • Item #8, under Comments and Questions, 2nd paragraph, change to read, “A concern was made about cell phones being used by taxi drivers while under contract.”
  • Item #17, Adjournment, Mazin Aribi adjourned the meeting.
  • Re Attendance: Craig Nicol was present at the meeting.

6. Business Arising Out of Minutes/Outstanding Items

Item: Pre-Boarding Announcements on Subway Trains – Spring 2019.

7. Deputation

Nil.

8. Wheel-Trans 10-year Strategy Update

Kathleen Barrett provided the update.

Customer Experience

On November 19, 2018, Aislin O’Hara presented at the Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA) on the work she did on Customer Journey Maps. The customer journey maps were created in early 2018 with members of ACAT to better understand critical pain-points for customers in dealing with Wheel-Trans and used to support customer-facing policy development. It was initially presented at the spring 2018 Wheel-Trans public meetings. ACAT members who were in the audience were thanked.

Travel Training

The Travel Training team presented to the TTC Executive management team at the Chief Service Officer’s meeting and gained support to move forward to operationalize the Travel Training Program. Stantec (a consultant) will be submitting a travel training business case by the end of January 2019. The Travel Training team will be presenting those findings to the Wheel-Trans Operations Subcommittee in February 2019.

Family of Services (FoS)

FoS Route Selection - The Family of Service Project Team is continuing work on ranking routes and evaluating bus/streetcar stops for use as transfer points between the conventional system and Wheel-Trans. The team is targeting approximately 60 additional routes by the end of 2019 and 150 by the end of 2020. The next routes to be added to the FOS network are 35 Jane, 512 St. Clair, and 96 Wilson.

Family of Services Survey - The FoS survey was conducted last September for a month where customers were asked how they had travelled the previous day. The survey was sent to over 30,000 customers and had a 13% response rate. Of the respondents, 22% indicated they had travelled completely on the conventional system without using Wheel-Trans. However, it provided insight into some of the reasons why the door-to-door ridership this year has shown no growth over 2017. A follow-up survey will be conducted over the months of January to March 2019.

Access Hubs

Humber College is targeted to be completed by the end of December 2018, and Victoria Park and Ellesmere and Victoria Park and Neilson are scheduled to be complete by first quarter 2019.

Eligibility

The first workshop in an ongoing series of workshops on reclassification of Wheel-Trans customers was held on November 30, 2018. The workshop focused on identifying an approach for evaluating customers who had service prior to the changes in the eligibility criteria in January 2017. No customers will lose service.

Questions and Comments from Committee Members

The difficulty of booking a trip outside the 4-hour window was raised.

Is a vehicle request possible? Under the Vehicle Exception Policy, to accommodate the request, it must be submitted along with a doctor’s note and customer is to contact Customer Service.

9. Subcommittee Reports and Updates

Communications Subcommittee (CS) - Marian McDonell

A CS meeting was held on October 11, 2018.

Website Update

Deborah Brown provided an update on the website which is still in beta phase and is tentative to go live by November 30, 2018. Staff is continuing to work on data (scheduling) issues and accessibility issues that need to be corrected before going live. An outside firm, T-Base, has been contracted to conduct an accessibility audit of the new website. The audit will be a 4-week process beginning mid-October. T-base will complete a report with detailed explanation of all issues that need to be addressed and corrected.

The majority of the issues and recommendations received from ACAT members have been addressed such as accessibility moved up to header, a page including all bus/streetcar routes is being built, search issues have been addressed. ACAT members are encouraged to continue using the website and provide any comments or suggestions for improvement.

Subway Maps

Ian Dickson, Manager – Design and Wayfinding, presented the map developments to the subway and streetcar routes and requested feedback from CS members. The new development concept is to create a hybrid between the streetcar map and subway map to highlight all rail systems. The new maps will have the full rail system including all 4 subway lines and the entire streetcar network. They will be located on the subway trains above the seats to the left or right of the doors; maps will be located in each car; The existing T1 Subway map would remain above the door of the train.

Additional redesigned vertical linear maps will be placed on the subway platforms. The purpose of redesigning the Subway Map T1 and creating the new hybrid map is to simplify and provide more clarity for passengers as they travel through the system.

A suggestion was made to add icons or pictures on the new hybrid map to indicate where the streetcar line intersects. It was mentioned that there will be a legend included in the right hand corner of the hybrid map.

A concern was raised that accessible stations are not indicated on the updated maps. The International Symbol of Access was inserted into the station dot in previous maps. As changes are completed to make stations accessible, this will be communicated to passengers. A Ride Guide will be used to provide full accessibility details.

First On, Last Off Policy

For both streetcars and buses, the policy is that persons using mobility devices should get on first and customers using mobility devices should be last off the bus.

A concern was expressed by various subcommittee members that the “First On, Last Off” policy has not always been followed by Operators or transit riders. The confusion was noted over the policy between streetcars and buses. It was mentioned that, for streetcars, the Operator must come out of the streetcar to deploy the ramp when the streetcar is not at an island platform stop. It was suggested that clarity on the policy as well as the messaging would be appreciated as these modes are quite different. Several requests were made to have the policy communicated to the public in order to resolve the issues.  It was noted that for budgetary reasons it may be difficult to do a campaign for 2018 but can look into other communication channels this year and complete a PSA campaign in 2019.

TTC Public Forum on Accessible Transit - December 13, 2018

The venue has been moved to the North Building in the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC). Wheel-Trans staff will assess accessibility issues and confirm a drop off and pick up location.

The live stream will allow members to watch and also interact by asking questions during the presentation. The URL for the live stream will be confirmed and included in the December newsletter.
 
The ACAT table will have ACAT-specific information and TTC will have general Wheel-Trans information e.g. Family of Services, etc. These suggestions have been passed to the Events Team.

New Business

Wheel-Trans Winter Newsletter - The Communications team is currently in the process of drafting the Winter newsletter. It will be sent to CS members for review by the first week of November. The final newsletter will be sent to Wheel-Trans customers at the end of November.

Metropass Discount Program (MDP) - As of October 11, 2018, a news release was issued announcing the end of the Metropass Discount Program. The decision to end the MDP program was grounded around the uncertainty in Canada Post labour negotiations. On November 1, 2018, all MDP customers will receive a $6 credit to be used to purchase a PRESTO card. MDP customers can transition to a 12-month pass (equivalent to MDP pass) or wait until January 2019 to get a regular pass.
 
TTC Family Day – This event was held on October 14, 2018 at Mt. Dennis Bus Division. ACAT hosted a table at the event.

Customer Handbook - CS and WTOS members reviewed the draft of the handbook. As there were many issues that came up during the review, it will be further discussed at the December meeting. A suggestion to have a Family of Services newsletter will be discussed by the W-T team and Alicia Sgromo will report back with an update at the December meeting.

The next CS meeting will be held on December 6, 2018.

Design Review Subcommittee (DRS) - Craig Nicol

A DRS meeting was held on October 3, 2018. Two meetings were held in November (November 7 and 14) and DRS had a field trip on November 29, 2018.

October 3, 2018 DRS Meeting

DRS discussed the Scarborough Centre Station Design and reviewed Spadina Station Easier Access design.

DRS objected to having only one Wheel-Trans pick up and drop off location and that the west entrance from the pedestrian bridge to bus platform is designed without a backup staircase for escalators.

November 7, 2018 DRS Meeting

Eglinton West LRT Extension

The City of Toronto is currently meeting with area stakeholders to develop an understanding of the neighbourhood and set the goals and priorities for the project.

Subcommittee Questions and Comments:

Members provided feedback about difficulties at surface and underground transit stops. There was comment about transferring related to the number of street crossings and the need to adjust stop location for rider volumes.

For streetscapes members suggested wider sidewalks, increase shelter lighting, avoid tree wells and grates that may cause safety issues.

Platform shelters need to protect against wind and wind driven rain/snow.
"Protected or Dutch style intersections" were not favoured by members.

Metrolinx LRT Project Consultation Process

Antonia Hammer attended to discuss the consultation process for Metrolinx LRT projects. The objective was to gather feedback to improve the process.

Subcommittee Comments:

  • Start the consultation early in a project.
  • Conduct meetings with designers interacting rather than a spokesperson presenter.
  • Create a venue for open discussion rather than bring a completed design to the meeting.

Other Business:

An issue was raised regards safety of bus flip down seats and unintended results of installing these seats.

November 14, 2018 DRS Meeting

PRESTO Update

Jan Richards presented several PRESTO updates including the PRESTO App, PRESTO Mobile App for Sedan Taxis, PRESTO Tickets and Milestones Updates and Delivery. The PRESTO app will be an accessible smart phone tool for managing multiple cards providing reload machine functions via your phone. The PRESTO Mobile app for sedan taxis will run on tablets used by the taxi industry allowing fare payment with a PRESTO card. PRESTO Tickets are paper PRESTO cards available for purchase of a limited number of rides typically one or two and are not reloadable.

The Milestones relate to what is yet to roll out in 2019:

  • Presto Tickets - Q1
  • Legacy Weekly Passes (stop selling Q1, March)
  • PRESTO APP for Sedan Taxis (testing) - Q2
  • Legacy Ticket Tokens (stop selling Q3, August 2, Stop accepting Q4, December 31)
  • Collector Booth (closed) - Q3 or Q4, aligned with the same dates when legacy fare media will no longer be accepted.

Subway Train Pre-Boarding Announcements

Staff provided an update on the subway train pre-boarding announcement system. Changes have been made including volume, repetition, and scrolling speed. Text of the announcements was distributed prior to the meeting.

Other Business

  • A further review of the Vision system capabilities was requested.
  • Concern was raised about ECLRT flow through in car elevator control panel location.

November 29, 2018 DRS Site Visit
 
Prior to the ACAT meeting, DRS met on the Davisville Station subway platform for a demonstration of the pre-boarding announcements and display on a TR train set.

The next DRS meeting will be on December 19, 2018.

Service Planning Subcommittee (SPS) – Thomas Richardson

Raymond Dell’Aera provided the report on behalf of Thomas Richardson. SPS meetings were held on October 3, 2018 and November 7, 2018.

October 3, 2018 SPS Meeting

There were 3 items discussed at this meeting.

1. Customer Service Agents (CSA) – Training and Responsibilities

Dinah Holliday, Program Manager for Station Transformation, initiated a discussion on the training and responsibilities of CSAs. Currently, most TTC stations are staffed in booths where their primary responsibility is the selling of fares. In the future, fares will be sold by vending machines and these Collectors will no longer be required. The TTC will then staff all stations with CSAs based on the existing models in London and Boston. The primary responsibilities of CSAs will be to provide information and customer service, as well as inspecting their stations to ensure that all elevators and escalators are in good working order. The six new extension stations are already staffed in this manner.

CSAs will be required to attend a training program. The curriculum will include:

  1. An understanding of the Family of Services
  2. Issues surrounding accessibilities and diversity
  3. Coordination with other staff
  4. Emergency protocols

A full roll out of the CSA program is expected to be completed by late 2019.

2. 2018 TTC Public Forum on Accessible Transit

A change of venue was required due to labour difficulties at the usual location. Since the AODA requires that a forum on accessible transit is held on an annual basis, the forum will take place at the Metro Convention Centre North Building on December 13, 2018. The nearest entrance to the rooms where the forum will take place faces Front Street. This poses a major problem for a drop off and pick up point for Wheel-Trans. There is another entrance to the south of the building where Wheel-Trans can drop off and pick up persons requiring their service. However, this is a longer distance to the North Building rooms. Many suggestions were discussed by the Subcommittee and the general consensus is that Wheel-Trans use the south entrance and staff will be available to provide assistance to persons requiring help to make the long trek to and from the forum rooms.

Other issues discussed were attendance at the forum due to inclement weather and the time of year, and communicating information to potential attendees. Matt Hagg assured the Subcommittee that live TV coverage of the forum will be available, and viewers will have the opportunity for questions/comments. Matt Hagg informed us that a site visit to evaluate and decide the most efficient way to proceed will be made soon. As soon as a final decision is made then the communication process can be launched.

3. Under New Business – Wheel-Trans Stops at Subway Stations

SPS members commented on the motion passed at the September ACAT General Meeting regarding Wheel-Trans Stops at Subway Stations. Staff clarified that the Outstanding Item on this issue is being addressed and the reimaging of Yonge Street and other similar projects are under consideration to resolve the impact of bicycle lanes on Wheel-Trans stops at subway stations. SPS recommended that this issue be raised at the Wheel-Trans Operations Subcommittee.

The next SPS meeting will be on November 7, 2018

November 7, 2018 SPS Meeting

There were 3 items discussed at this meeting.

1. Closures and Diversions – Bus Stop Accessibility

Larry Hossu, Co-ordinator of Closures and Diversions, asked the Subcommittee for their feedback on this topic. The Subcommittee’s response was focused on safety concerns at temporary bus stops. These concerns included:

  • Deployment of ramps where there are no curbs.
  • The presence of informed TTC staff at construction sites to direct and assist persons with disabilities until the construction is complete.
  • The clarification and consistent messaging of the language on the website
  • Wheel-Trans have shuttle busses at midway and end points during subway closures and diversions.

2. New Business

The increasing misuse of partner passes - Staff indicated that this issue was being addressed through the Travel Training Program. Further investigation may be required in the future.

3. Securement

The issue of educating the public and Operators regarding the First On, Last Off Policy was brought forward with the general agreement that this issue be referred to the Wheel-Trans Operations Subcommittee for further discussion. 
 
The next SPS meeting will be on December 5, 2018

Wheel-Trans Operations Subcommittee (WTOS) - Lynn McCormick

WTOS meetings were held on October 4 and November 15, 2018.

October 4, 2018 WTOS Meeting

John Boucher, Manager of Lakeshore Garage, provided the update on the new buses. There are now 54 buses on the property, with 48 in service, and 6 with a Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) in process. Modifications are halfway completed, with spacers being added to the suspensions. Solutions are in place for Buses #529 and up, while buses prior to 529 are still in process.

Feedback was provided that Buses #540 and #543 are working well; however the L bracket is allowing belts to turn sideways. This item will be checked as it could mean that bolts are loosening.

An overview of the GIRO Internet Trip Booking beta system was provided, which covered the login page, landing page, trip bookings, trip history, occasional and regular trips, profile settings, as well as views from multiple devices. Another review session with volunteers will be held at a later date when the current version has been updated.

Training for new booking website has been completed for all Wheel-Trans Reservationists and Customer Service employees.

WTOS members provided further feedback of various lengths for call backs, which do not reflect positions in the queue. Generally, the system should give the position in queue, but variations in service are affected by the time of day, resources, and call volumes. WTOS members were also informed that the vendor is working to put in place the queueing feature. Until that occurs, there are manual processes in place to match the position of the person in line to the time they will be called. It was recommended that, in the meantime, to reduce the risk of customers not using the callback feature, the messaging should be changed to remove any reference to the queue and timeline expectations.

Dwayne Geddes was introduced as the new Divisional Manager of Customer Service. The role has been created to enhance customer service. Members were invited to call or email Dwayne with recommendations.

November 15, 2018 WTOS Meeting

A WTOS meeting was held on November 15, 2018.

John Boucher, Manager of Lakeshore Garage, reported that two remaining ProMaster buses are left to be delivered by end of November 2018. Buses are experiencing temperature issues and this is currently being addressed. Staff is looking at ways to measure the temperature properly. WTOS members will be kept updated on this issue.

Comments Regarding Vehicle Restrictions were raised. Restrictions based on mobility devices need to be assessed on an individual case by case basis. It was noted that individuals require a medical reason for why they cannot be accommodated in a particular vehicle. Vehicle accommodation is no longer based on personal preference.

Comments were made that the Wheel-Trans Handbook creates confusion that Family of Services and Wheel-Trans are being treated as two separate services. A suggestion was made to review and try to integrate the conventional system into the current document.

The next WTOS meeting will be held December 14, 2018, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at 580 Commissioners Street.

10. ACAT Subcommittee Meeting Highlights for the Next TTC Board Meeting

CS:

  • Website Feedback
  • Feedback on redesigned rail maps
  • Winter Wheel-Trans Newsletter

DRS:

  • Scarborough Centre 30% design review
  • Spadina Station (line1) EA3 design review
  • Eglinton West LRT extension public review
  • PRESTO Review of  Milestones for 2019
  • Subway Pre - Boarding Announcement review

SPS:

  • Discussion and information on the Customer Service Agents, Training and Responsibilities
  • Change of date and venue for the upcoming TTC Public Forum on Accessible Transit
  • Feedback on Closures, Diversions, and Temporary Bus Stop Accessibility
  • The increasing misuse of partner passes 

WTOS:

  • Feedback on modifications to new buses
  • Feedback on Customer Vehicle Restrictions

11. Report on Customer Liaison Panel (CLP), Craig Nicol

A CLP meeting was held on October 24, 2018. A presentation was made by Wayfinding and Design on the New Subway Maps, which deals with a new rail line map showing subway and streetcar network. On subway cars, there would be a 700mm x 700mm map of the network beside the door above seats. Also presented, was the single line map for display on subway platforms.

A review and feedback of the future of the CLP was also discussed. This is pending the establishment of a new TTC Board.

There will be no further CLP meetings in 2018.

12. Review of Correspondence

Nil.

13. Other / New Business

Motion Regarding the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit (ECLRT) Elevator Control Panel Location

As part of the ongoing efforts to expand and improve transit services, Metrolinx is constructing the ECLRT line 5 which is expected to be operated by the TTC. As a new build, the ECLRT needs to be designed and constructed for maximum accessibility for all customers. Any design feature that may compromise accessibility will affect attractiveness of subway travel for customers using mobility devices (i.e. wheelchairs, scooters, and walkers). Based on material presented to ACAT by Metrolinx, ACAT is concerned that planned designs for ECLRT elevators will introduce barriers into the TTC’s rapid transit network.

Recommendation:

In the interest of removing physical barriers for customers with disabilities, ACAT recommends the following to the TTC Board regarding the issue of flow-through elevator control panels:

  1. That the TTC seek clarification from Metrolinx as to the flow-through elevator design specifically with respect to the in-car control panel location;
  2. If the design does not have the control panel on the side wall per TTC standards, request a transparent review of any circumstance cited which prevents such location;
  3. Request that all flow-through elevators follow the best practice design used by the TTC, placing one in-car control panel on the long side wall between the doors.

Background:

ACAT through the Design Review Subcommittee (DRS) has participated in joint meetings with the Metrolinx Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC) where presentations were made with respect to the accessibility features of the ECLRT. Initially it appeared that ECLRT flow-through elevator design would fully incorporate TTC best practices as related to the location of the in-car control panel. At the September 25, 2018 joint meeting DRS raised concern that slide 18 of the presentation showed the control panel on an end wall rather than centred on the straight side wall as is the TTC practice. On November 2, 2018, a response to the DRS concern about the location of the in-car control panel was received advising that due to insufficient space in the elevator shaft the control panel could not be placed on the side wall.

It is critical to accessibility that the greatest number of riders can safely and independently use the system. Elevators are installed in stations to ensure accessibility for riders with limited mobility. Elevator control panels which require forward approach will restrict independent access for some customers and introduce a level of difficulty for others who may be able to access the panel but with some adaptation. In this scenario elements of mobility devices such as footrests and seating necessitate a long reach and the ability to lean forward — capacities which are compromised for many persons with a disability — making what should be a simple act physically challenging or outright impossible.

To, by design, reduce the number of riders who can use the elevator independently is a violation of the very precept of accessibility upon which this equipment is provided in the first place.

Based upon information contained in the response and from earlier Metrolinx presentations DRS considers that adequate space is available to place these control panels on the straight side wall and is not satisfied with the responses received to date. The Design Review Subcommittee Chair, also a member of the AAC, has registered objection to the response with Metrolinx requesting a transparent detailed review of space availability.

It should be emphasized that TTC staff with input from ACAT over the years of retrofitting subway stations with elevators have adopted a best practice design that provides maximum accessibility for all customers.

We also note that the TTC, as part of its mission to provide barrier-free, accessible service that is efficient, reliable and in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is currently transforming the way customers use accessible transit services via the Wheel-Trans 10-Year Strategy. A key component of this strategy is promoting the “family of services” concept to customers, meaning those who are able to use conventional transit modes do so, ensuring the availability of Wheel-Trans service for those who need it.

This means that an increasing number of customers with disabilities will be asked to use the mass transit system for all or part of their journey. As this places more pressure on the conventional system to accommodate customers with varying needs, it will be more important than ever that those who use mobility devices can expect to use in-station elevators consistently, especially when these stations are marked “accessible”.

Moved by Craig Nicol and seconded by Mazin Aribi. Carried unanimously.

Report on Educational Presentation to Wheel-Trans Staff Regarding Cognitive Disabilities

Mary Burton reported that a presentation to Wheel-Trans staff was done by Community Head Injury Resource Services (CHIRS) on November 12, 2018 regarding invisible disabilities. A suggestion was made that CHIRS staff be consulted in the future if needed.

Review of ACAT Members’ Talking Points in TTC Staff Training Sessions

Angela Marley stated that the ACAT Members Manual outline of the ACAT Members’ Talking Points for Participating in TTC Staff Training document be reviewed and updated with the changes that have been happening. Mazin Aribi stated that the documents are to be emailed by Chair Raymond Dell’Aera to all ACAT members. Any suggestions on areas of improvement are to be sent to the ACAT Chair by December 13, 2018.

Access to Wheel-Trans During Santa Claus Parade and Scotiabank Marathon

Louise Bark stated that the Santa Claus Parade and Scotiabank Marathon will cause some issues for Wheel-Trans commute. Road blocks prevent Wheel-Trans vehicles to have access to hospitals and other landmarks. This item was referred to the Wheel-Trans Operations Subcommittee.

Update on Wheel-Trans Phone System

ACAT members raised their concerns and inquiries and asked for an update regarding the difficulties in getting through Wheel-Trans phone lines. Dwayne Geddes, Divisional Manager - Customer Service, Wheel-Trans, stated that they are working with a vendor and the ITS department to correct the issue. Recently, the server was changed to allow an unlimited number of customers to join the queue. Increasing staff and improving the system is an ongoing project that he is working on. If the online system is not working, he is to be notified immediately.

Awareness for Persons with Disabilities by TTC Staff

ACAT members raised a concern about TTC staff sensitivity and awareness for persons with disabilities within the TTC workplace/facilities. There have been a few incidents that have occurred while members of ACAT are at the 1900 Yonge location and have encountered some inappropriate behaviour by various staff members. Some examples given include having long line ups and wait times at the accessible washroom on the 6th floor because many staff who do not require accessible facilities choose to use that washroom, several reports of various unknown staff members petting Service Animals without asking while in elevators / hallways, and inappropriate / insensitive comments

Therefore, it was decided that some language be drafted regarding sensitivity and awareness for persons with disabilities within the TTC workplace/facilities and sent in an email to all TTC employees at 1900 Yonge. A suggestion was also made to include in the Leader’s Digest and also to put on the TTC TV screens to help educate staff on these issues.

A draft will be sent to Raymond Dell’Aera for further input before finalizing it.

14. Next Meeting

The next meeting of ACAT will be held on December 20, 2018 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at 1900 Yonge Street, 7th Floor Boardroom.

15. Adjournment

On a motion by Lauri Sue Robertson, the meeting was adjourned at 3:22 p.m.

Tiffany Peters
Recording Secretary

X
Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.
Confirm