ACAT Meeting


Meeting Info

Date:Thursday, May 31, 2018
Start Time:1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Location:7th Floor Boardroom, 1900 Yonge Street
Meeting No:330
  • Agenda
  • Meeting Minutes

Agenda is not available for this meeting.
Please check the meeting minutes for meeting details.

Present

  • Raymond Dell’Aera, Chair
  • Mazin Aribi, Co-Vice Chair
  • Angela Rebeiro, Co-Vice Chair
  • Louise Bark
  • Mary Burton
  • Anita Dressler
  • Jessica Geboers
  • Debbie Gillespie
  • Angela Marley
  • Lynn McCormick
  • Marian McDonell
  • Craig Nicol
  • Thomas Richardson
  • Lauri Sue Robertsona

Pool Members

  • Scott McArthur
  • Igor Samardzic

Regrets

Nil.

TTC Representatives

  • Matt Hagg, Senior Planner – System Accessibility
  • Heather Brown, Manager - Customer Communications
  • Lodon Hassan, Assistant Manager - Customer Service, Wheel-Trans
  • Jasmine Eftekhari, Program Co-ordinator, WT Transformation Program
  • Brad Ross, Executive Director - Corporate Communications
  • Terry Hughes, Divisional Manager - Mount Dennis, Bus Transportation
  • Lynn Middleton, Division Manager-Wheel Trans
  • Thamina Jaferi, Diversity Consultant, Diversity & Human Rights

Copies

  • Rick Leary, Acting Chief Executive Officer
  • Kirsten Watson, Acting Deputy CEO/Chief Customer Officer
  • Collie Greenwood, Acting Chief Service Officer
  • Susan Reed Tanaka, Chief Capital Officer
  • Dan Wright, Chief Financial Officer
  • Brad Ross, Executive Director – Corporate Communications
  • James Ross, Acting Chief Operating Officer
  • Eve Wiggins, Head of Wheel-Trans
  • Jacqueline Darwood, Head of Strategy & Service Planning
  • Deborah Brown, Acting Head of Customer Communications
  • TTC Board Members

1. Call to Order / Attendance

Raymond Dell’Aera, ACAT Chair, called the meeting to order at 1:12 p.m. and attendance was taken.

2. Declaration of Conflict of Interest

Nil.

3. Approval of Agenda

On a motion by Debbie Gillespie, seconded by Louise Bark, the agenda was approved with the following amendments:

  • Under Other / New Business, add the following:
    • Partnership with City of Toronto Accessibility Advisory Committee
    • Review of Article in Abilities Magazine on TTC Accessibility

4. 7th Floor Boardroom - Work Order and AODA Requirements

Brad Ross, Executive Director - Corporate Communications, gave a presentation on planned renovations to the 7th Floor Boardroom at 1900 Yonge Street. Several improvements will be made during the renovations including: 

  • The meeting table will be rectangular to make it easier to move around the room and the height of the table will be adjustable
  • Chairs can be put away to make more space
  • A new modern audiovisual system will be installed in the room
  • There will be screens on three walls for presentations, video and/or captioning
  • Phones will be at desk level

In response to questions, Brad Ross will check to ensure that the AV system includes audio induction loops, and since concerns were raised about the meeting table being rectangular, there will be screens in the room. Brad Ross agreed to bring to an ACAT meeting a floor plan of the room’s changes, when one was available.

Construction may begin as early as July 2018 and is expected to be completed by January 2019

5. Remarks from ACAT Chair, Raymond Dell’Aera

The 2018 People in Motion Show will be held at Variety Village on June 15 and 16, 2018. This is the first time the event is being held at this location. Heather Brown said that Wheel-Trans users will be informed by sending out postcards to newsletter recipients, posting the information on the Wheel-Trans online booking site, placing an ad in the StarMetro daily newspaper, and on social media. A message will be also added to the Wheel-Trans telephone booking line.

In order to accommodate the increase in the number of customers travelling to Variety Village during the event, there will be additional accessible conventional buses running from Victoria Park station on the 12A Kingston Road route. Customer Service Representatives will be at Victoria Park and Kennedy stations to assist travellers. A Wheel-Trans Supervisor at Victoria Park station will be able to dispatch extra Wheel-Trans buses, if needed.

6. Review and Approval of April 26, 2018 Minutes

On a motion by Angela Marley, seconded by Thomas Richardson, the minutes were approved with the following amendments:

  • Item #1, page 3, 2nd sentence: change "...the tragic event on April 23, 2018" to “...the tragic event on Yonge Street on April 23, 2018."
  • Item #6, page 4, Election of ACAT Co-Vice Chair, 2nd line: after "Craig Nicol nominated Angela Rebeiro, add “seconded by Angela Marley”.
  • Item #6, page 4, Election of ACAT Co-Vice Chair: remove the sentence that begins with, "The vote commenced..."
  • Item #12, page 9, Service Planning Subcommittee, 2nd paragraph, change “...persons with mobility devices" to "persons using mobility devices."

7. Business Arising Out of Minutes/Outstanding Items

  • Item: Travel Assistance Card (TAC): The “Please Offer Me a Seat” button replaces the Travel Assistance Card (TAC). Completed.
  • Item: Request for Amendment to the Proposed New Guidelines for Sidewalk Cafes: Completed.
  • Item: Lack of Tactile Information on Poles for Shared Bus Stops: Ongoing.
  • Item: Family of Services Trips are Difficult to Use during Periods of Overcrowding: Parallel bus service on Lines 1 and 2 is not feasible. Completed
  • Item: Access to Subway Stations and Wheel-Trans Stops at Entrances: Ongoing
  • Item: Emergency Procedures for Customer Mobility Device Breakdowns on TTC: There already are procedures in place for customer mobility device breakdowns on the TTC. Completed

Business Arising

Debbie Gillespie reported that a meeting has been set for June 4, 2018 between CNIB and Metrolinx about TripLinx accessibility issues.

Access to Website Staging Site: ACAT will have a chance to review the new TTC website before the beta testing which will take place at the end of June. Please refer all glitches and outdated information to Heather Brown, Manager - Customer Communications.

8. Deputation

Nil.

9. Wheel-Trans 10-Year Strategy Update

Jasmine Eftekhari, Project Co-ordinator, Wheel-Trans Transformation Program, provided an update.

Customer Experience

The Travel Training Pilot Program has officially launched. On May 29, 2018, the first orientation session was held at Variety Village with approximately 12 participating customers. The next orientation session will be held on June 13, 2018 at Metro Hall from 6:00 p.m. to 8:15 p.m.

Customers take part in a welcome survey that helps to understand their current travel abilities, which is followed by a 35-minute presentation on accessible travel on the TTC. After the presentation, there is a question and answer period, followed by a post survey to collect feedback to know if the orientation session was helpful and how to improve it. Customers that wish to move forward with setting up their one-on-one travel training will complete an intake form. Within 10 business days of attending the session, customers will be contacted and scheduled for their one-on-one training. Customers can have up to four one-on-one sessions.

Jasmine thanked all the ACAT members who helped us design the program, write the handbook, and for those who offered to attend an orientation session to support the Wheel-Trans Transformation Project Team.

Access Hubs

  • Humber College
    • Shelter modification design determined. ACAT DRS assisted with the review.
  • Jane/Eglinton
  • Ellesmere/Victoria Park
  • Ellesmere/Neilson
    • Site visits completed.
    • Designs/surveys are underway.
    • Updated ACAT SPS on May 28, 2018.
  • Bingham Loop
    • Overlea/Thorncliffe
    • Long Branch
    - Site visits completed.
    - Updated ACAT SPS on May 28, 2018.
    • Steeles/Yonge
    • Jane/Wilson
    • Weston/Finch
    • Kipling/Dixon
    - Site visits to commence next week.

On June 7, 2018, DRS will assist with a workshop to establish the Access Hub configuration standards, i.e. minimum acceptable standards. 

Family of Services (FoS)

The FoS Pilot ended April 30, 2018 and the post pilot analysis and the review of new routes to expand to are currently being worked on.

Questions and Comments from Committee Members

How were customers informed about Travel Training sessions? Not all Wheel-Trans customers were invited to the first round, only those with physical disabilities, new conditional customers, and those who asked about the training. The next training session will include customers with mobility issues and those with cognitive disabilities.

10. Subcommittee Reports and Updates

Design Review Subcommittee (DRS) - Craig Nicol

During May, DRS had one field trip and one meeting.

On May 10, 2018, DRS members attended at the Humber College Bus Loop to review and advise on the alterations to incorporate a Wheel-Trans Access Hub. Items reviewed include the depth of shelter, entrance size/location, Wheel-Trans vehicle lay by, curb ramp for rear boarding, and railing removal for side boarding.

A DRS meeting was held on May 16, 2018.

Easier Access (EA) III Design, Lawrence Station

Steve Stewart, Project Manager for the Easier Access Program presented the station EA III design. Two elevators will be installed, a two-stop elevator connecting street and fare concourse and a three-stop elevator connecting fare concourse, buses and trains. The project is scheduled for completion in 2023.

Subcommittee Questions and Comments:

It was recommended that, due to the path of travel and installation of new stairs, all stairways at this entrance receive tactile attention indicators at the top of stairs. Northbound and Southbound trains signage should be located at platform level.

Subway Station Accessibility Audits
 
Brian Putre from Stantec Consulting presented last years’ accessibility audit findings on subway stations for the implementation of Family of Services. The audit grouped observations into four categories: Infrastructure, Path of Travel, User Information, and Supplemental Amenities. From the audit findings, DRS was able to isolate several issues for further study and action. Findings were separated into short-term and long-term action items.

Subcommittee Questions and Comments:

  • Per OBC, CSA and CNIB tactile attention indicators are not to be installed at the bottom of stairs or at top and bottom of ramps.
  • Signage should not be installed on the floor.
  • Designated path of travel signage would assist in finding the accessible route.
  • Wheel-Trans needs to develop a rationale as to where stops are located for the benefit of customers.

Other Business

DRS requested the schedule for pre-boarding announcement activation on all subway lines. TTC is testing lines 3 & 4 but have not resolved issues for lines 1 & 2.

The next DRS meeting will be held on July 4, 2018.

Wheel-Trans Operations Committee (WTOS) - Lynn McCormick

A WTOS meeting was held on May 17, 2018. The following items were discussed:

  • ProMaster buses are to be retrofitted with better suspensions, before which WTOS members will be able to test ride characteristics to confirm their improvement.
  • The Family of Services (FoS) pilot project has ended, but the FoS program continues.
  • The Community Buses Pilot project has been extended, with a report planned for early 2019.
  • Staff will change the way they report Wheel-Trans on-time performance to the TTC Board. The benchmark for lateness will be rides that are late by 20 minutes or more instead of 10 minutes or more, bringing this metric in line with industry standards.

Service Planning Subcommittee (SPS) - Thomas Richardson

An SPS meeting was held on May 28, 2018. The following items were discussed:

Update on Elevator Closure

An update was presented on the progress of and proposed upcoming Elevator Maintenance Shut downs. The second of three elevators at the Kennedy Station is still in progress, and there is no definite time for completion as the contractor is waiting for parts. Work on the third elevator will not begin until the second elevator is completed. When work on the third elevator begins, accessible alternatives using conventional transit to reach the concourse level at the station will be posted on the TTC website and Customer Service Agents will be available to assist customers. Two other scheduled elevator shut down will occur at the Scarborough Town Centre and Bathurst Station. The start time for these projects is estimated in the early part of 2019. Accessible alternative routes using conventional transit will be posted and Customer Service Agents will be in attendance to assist customers during these closures.  

Parallel Bus Routes along Lines 1 and 2

An earlier proposal to run parallel bus routes along lines 1 and 2 during rush hours was researched and it was concluded that it was both impractical and not cost effective to go further with this initiative.

Update on Placement of Hubs

Based on a review of the Meadowvale Hub and further feedback from ACAT members, it was determined that future hubs would be placed close to safe access to conventional transit as possible. In cases where hubs are placed close to or beside existing bus shelters/stops, these hubs will be clearly identified.

The next SPS meeting will be held on July 4, 2018.

11. ACAT Subcommittee Meeting Highlights for the Next TTC Board Meeting

DRS:

  • Lawrence Station EA III Design Review
  • Stantec Consulting Subway Station Audit Findings.
  • Humber College Access Hub Review

SPS:

  • The increased use of the conventional transit system and the assistance of Customer Service Agents as accessible alternatives will make the transition smoother during scheduled elevator closures.
  • The installation and clear identification of hubs that are located as close and safe as possible to other means of accessible transit.

WTOS:

  • Retrofit of suspension on ProMaster buses and to test ride to confirm their improvement.

12. Report on Customer Liaison Panel (CLP), Craig Nicol, ACAT Representative

The Customer Liaison Panel met on May 24, 2018.

The main topic of discussion was the path towards the retirement of legacy fares and the full roll out of PRESTO. A table was presented detailing fare types and the dates when they will be available on PRESTO. This table will be presented at a TTC Board Meeting.

The bulk of fare types will be fully rolled out in 2018. PRESTO has not yet developed the single ride ticket, a solution for sedan taxi fares or support persons. Full roll out of PRESTO and closure of Collector Booths will depend upon resolution of these issues. 

The next CLP meeting will be held on June 20, 2018.

13. Report on TTC Board Meeting and Accessibility Matters

A TTC Board Meeting was held on May 8, 2018. The March 29th ACAT minutes were received by the Board.

Vaughan Station Elevators

There was a customer deputation that two of the elevators have not been completed yet; although there are signs leading to them. Other elevators were not working. The TTC Board approved the following motion: “That staff investigate the concerns expressed regarding the non-functioning elevators at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station”. The elevators are owned and operated by entities other than the TTC, such as York Region Transit and private buildings. Staff will follow up getting deadlines on the elevator completion.

14. CEO Update

Nil.

15.  Review of Correspondence

  • Sidewalks not being shoveled after a snowstorm - This is a City of Toronto responsibility. The correspondent was referred to the City’s Accessibility Advisory Committee.
  • Invitation to workshop for service providers on how to work with clients with visible and invisible disabilities – Raymond Dell’Aera will email the details to members later.

16. Other / New Business

Partnership with City of Toronto Accessibility Advisory Committee

There was general agreement that ACAT could work more regularly with the City of Toronto Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC). ACAT has worked with the Committee before but there is no permanent arrangement. Raymond Dell’Aera will email the AAC with information on ACAT and generally open a line of communication with them, and suggested that ACAT correspond with this committee when they are dealing with transit issues.

Review of Article in Abilities Magazine on TTC Accessibility

ACAT members commented that the article was very unfavourable to the TTC and contained many errors. It was suggested that TTC staff could write a letter to the editor after consulting with ACAT, if they choose, but no response directly from ACAT will be given. Jessica Geboers could write a positive article for the Abilities Magazine, to be discussed at a later time.

17.  Next Meeting

The next meeting of ACAT will be held on Thursday, June 28, 2018, from 1:00 to 3:30 p.m., at 1900 Yonge Street, 7th Floor Boardroom.

18. Adjournment

On a motion by Mazin Aribi, the meeting was adjourned at 3:45pm.

Rhonda Sussman
Recording Secretary

X
Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.
Confirm