ACAT Meeting - March 26, 2009

Meeting Info

Date:Thursday, March 26, 2009
Location:1900 Yonge Street, 7th Floor Boardroom
Meeting No:214
  • Agenda
  • Meeting Minutes

Agenda is not available for this meeting.
Please check the meeting minutes for meeting details.


  • Susan Davidson
  • Adam Cohoon
  • Bill Castor
  • Fadumo Dirie
  • Richard Greco 
  • Heather Green
  • Angela Marley
  • Garnett Martin
  • Marian McDonell
  • Robert Muzzy
  • Linda Napier
  • Craig Nicol
  • Sam Savona
  • Howard Wax
  • Penny Lamy (ex-officio)

TTC Representatives

  • Bill Frost
  • Dean Milton
  • Tom McPherson
  • Glenn Johnston
  • Bill MacDiarmid
  • Robert Miller
  • Janet O’Sullivan


  • Marcia Cummings


  • Gary Webster
  • Vince Rodo
  • John Sepulis
  • Rick Cornacchia
  • Al Chocorlan
  • TTC Commissioners

1. Call to Order / Attendance

Susan Davidson, Chair, called the meeting to order at approximately 1:00 p.m. Roll call was taken.

2. Declaration of Conflict of Interest


3. Approval of Agenda

On motion of Bill Castor, ACAT approved the agenda.

4. Review and Approval of February 26, 2009 Minutes

On motion of Marian Mcdonell, ACAT approved the minutes of the meeting held on February 26, 2009 with the omission of the reminders for correct meeting etiquette. Members agreed that the reminder will be made before the meetings start.

Marcia Cummings has resigned her membership in the Committee. She has moved outside the City of Toronto.

5. Business Arising Out of Minutes/Outstanding Items - No outstanding items.


6. Report on Commission Meeting Accessibility Matters - No matters to report.


7. Deputation


8. Subcommittee Reports and Updates

Wheel-Trans Operations Subcommittee

Angela Marley reported to the members that the Subcommittee met on March 12, 2009 and identified a number of outstanding issues to be addressed at future meetings.

9. Streetcar Replacement

Bill MacDiarmid of Service Planning presented the plan for replacing the existing TTC streetcar fleet and stops. From 2012 to 2018, the TTC will receive 204 new low-floor light rail vehicles to replace the existing fleet. This will require a study to determine the best configuration for stops. (Presentation attached)

In discussions after the presentation, Penny Lamy requested a presentation comparing the merits of streetcar versus buses. Glenn Johnston will convey the request for information, and any other questions ACAT members may have, to the appropriate staff.

Susan Davidson suggested that, due to time constraints, any questions be emailed to Glenn Johnston for coordination with Bill MacDiarmid and other Service Planning staff.

10. Wheel-Trans Essential Strategy and Values

Bill Frost made a presentation to the members outlining the renewed commitment of Wheel Trans management and staff to providing a quality service to all Wheel-Trans customers.

11. Presto Card System Update

Craig Nicol informed the Committee that he has been involved with testing equipment developed for the project. The system is not a TTC initiative, but TTC staff and ACAT members are being consulted. Susan Davidson, who is involved with the sound testing, indicated she had asked the project managers to involve also the Canadian National Institute for the Blind and the Canadian Hearing Society in the testing.

Glenn Johnston will ask Bob Hughes of the TTC, and the present and former ACAT members who are involved in the assessments, to keep ACAT informed of developments.

12. NVAS Integrated Signage

The Next Vehicle Arrival System (NVAS) was presented by Bob Miller, IT Project Manager, who asked the assistance of the members in developing a workable plan to accommodate people with disabilities accessing the system. (Presentation attached)

13. Bus Destination Messages

Craig Nicol expressed his concern that the changing destination messages on buses are difficult to read for those who have limited sight. Craig has requested that the signs be standardized for route information only.

Glenn Johnston indicated that the Marketing and Customer Service Department had expressed a desire to consult with ACAT members on the development of guidelines for messages. He will have this matter on the agenda of the appropriate subcommittee(s).

14. Open Forum Update

Glenn Johnston informed the members that the TTC is now considering changes to what was mentioned last month, including a change in the location of the event. Details have not been finalized with the Monitor for the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal.

A greater role for the ACAT Chair has been discussed. Glenn Johnston and Susan Davidson will be discussing an ACAT presentation and/or other ways to participate this year.

15. Provincial Accessibility Standard

Glenn Johnston presented slides outlining the main points addressed in the latest submission to the Ministry of Community and Social Services on the subject of the draft Initial Accessible Transportation Standard. It was noted that the points raised are largely the same issues that ACAT raised in the assessment of the 2007 draft. (Presentation attached)

Glenn Johnston will be meeting with senior staff of the Ministry of Community and Social Services and, as noted last month, Chairman Giambrone will be meeting with the Minister. Further updates will be provided to ACAT as the Ministry releases information.

16. People in Motion Update

The Show will be held on June 5 and 6, 2009. Members asked that Wheel-Trans increase shuttle service to the show. The show will feature the new Friendly Bus and TTC Accessible Service.

17. Other / New Business

Bill Castor asked that TTC employees be reminded that elevators are especially for the use of people with disabilities. Bill Frost will follow up.

Glenn Johnston will schedule meetings of the Design Review Subcommittee on various design matters, including station design and the ‘gap’ issue as soon as TTC staff were in a position to seek ACAT advice on the design concepts and, in the case of the gap-filler material, the test of the material.

Garnett Martin reminded members that the dates for the May, September, and October ACAT meetings have been changed to Friday, May 29, Wednesday, September 23, and Friday, October 30, 2009.

18. Next Meeting –  March 26, 2009


19. Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at approximately 3:45 p.m.

Janet O’Sullivan
For Secretary

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.