Queen Street West from University Avenue to Spadina Avenue - streetcar overhead infrastructure upgrades
Beginning week of July 5 for approximately 2 weeks
What we are doing and why
As part of TTC’s system wide overhead upgrade for full pantograph operations for its new low-floor streetcars, this summer TTC crews will begin overhead work on the 501/301 Queen route. This work coincides with the track renewal work underway at the Queen/Roncesvalles/King intersection, and the upcoming track renewal project between Bay Street to Fennings Street.
Starting the week of July 5, TTC and its contractor will begin installing 18 new overhead poles along the south side of Queen Street West between University Avenue to Spadina Avenue.
- Eight poles will be installed from University Avenue to just east of Duncan Street.
- Ten poles will be installed from east of John Street to west of Peter Street
Crews will start at University Avenue and work west towards Spadina Avenue. Work activities will include localized saw-cutting (2’x2’) into the sidewalk, using a vacuum truck to make a hole for the new poles, installing the new poles and placing new concrete. The existing aged poles will be removed at a later date.
Traffic and parking restrictions
- Traffic lanes will be reduced through the moving work zone. Toronto Police Services officer will be onsite to help manage traffic movement through work zone.
- Some on-street parking will be restricted in areas along the south side when work activities are underway.
CafeTO and patios
Crews will work around patio hours as best as possible. Some early morning or late evening work may be required if the work location is directly adjacent to or at a patio. Business owners will be contacted.
Work hours and timeline
- The majority of the work will be conducted during the daytime between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. however, there will be periods of late evening and possibly overnight work to minimize impact to restaurant patios.
- The following day, new poles will be installed and net concrete poured.
No changes to TTC service as part of this work.
Thank you for your patience as we work to upgrade the streetcar overhead infrastructure on Queen Street.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 647-461-5133, firstname.lastname@example.org.
53 Steeles East: Major delays between Kennedy Rd and Tapscott Rd due to construction.
Last updated 5:44 PM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service