College Station - Second Exit/Entrance and Easier Access project
Overnight work week of January 18
For background information, please visit the project page.
Construction Update - Overnight work week of January 18, 2021
What we are doing and why?
As part of the Second Exit/Entrance and Easier Access construction at College Station, overnight work is required the week of January 18, 2021. The work involves the installation and relocation of underground cables on Yonge Street and at the Yonge and College/Carlton intersection. In order to prevent the interruption of vehicular and streetcar movements on College Street, work is required to take place overnight when traffic is reduced.
What to expect
- During overnight hours on January 18, 19, 20, 21 and 23, a small work crew will be in the area to complete the installation and relocation of underground cables.
- Equipment will include work vehicles, a cable pulling machine, and generators on site to provide power.
- A generator at the trailer site located at 21 Granby Street will also be operating overnight to provide power to washrooms and break rooms/warming stations.
- Work hours will be from approximately 10pm to 6am the following morning.
- Noise will be kept to a minimum as best as possible.
The majority of work will take place within the existing work zone on Yonge Street and at the intersection of Yonge and College street. A Paid-duty officer will be on site to help control traffic.
Thank you for your patience as we work to make College Station accessible.
As part of the TTC’s commitment to safety and modernization, College Station (Line 1) will be getting a new second exit/entrance, and elevators to improve customer safety, accessibility and convenience. A new concourse will be constructed south of the existing concourse that will combine elevators and a second exit through College Park. Construction began November 23, 2020. Scheduled for completion by the end of 2023.
The work zone will be on Yonge Street, south of College Street. The work will be completed in stages to reduce impact to the local area, pedestrians, cyclists and motorists as much as possible.
Current work activities
In order to maintain sidewalk access and one lane of traffic in each direction throughout construction, Yonge Street will need to be widened (Stage 1A: Completed) and the centre median removed (Stage 1B: underway).
Stage 1B: Median removal begins December 14, 2020 (for approx. 8 weeks)
Following the completion of Stage 1A, the centre median on Yonge Street will be removed. Hoarding will be installed to create a safe work zone.
Work activities include:
- Installation of hoarding/barriers and traffic control
- Removal of the centre median, including any street furniture and trees within the work zone
- Noise, dust and vibration associated with construction can be expected with this work. Efforts will be made to keep levels to a minimum.
Pedestrian and Vehicular Access:
- One lane of traffic in each direction on Yonge Street will be maintained at all times.
Work hours and timeline
The majority of construction work will take place from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Some extensions outside of these hours may be required to facilitate deliveries and to accommodate the operation of local businesses.
Subway service is planned to run throughout construction.
For further information:
Niki Angelis, Community Liaison, 416-981-1532, firstname.lastname@example.org.
162 Lawrence-Donway: Detour eastbound via The Donway W, Don Mills Rd and Lawrence Ave E due to construction.
Last updated 1:51 PM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service