College Street and Crawford Street - eastbound streetcar stop rail replacement
July 16 to 19, 2021
What we are doing and why
Starting at 8 p.m. on Friday, July 16*, pending weather, TTC track crews will begin setting up a work zone to replace worn rail at the eastbound streetcar stop on College Street at Crawford Street. An additional concrete repair will be conducted on College Street on the east side of Crawford Street.
The work is required to maintain safe streetcar service. Work activities will be contained within the track area and will include: saw cutting, milling and minor breaking of concrete to expose the rail; replacing existing rail with new rail; and placement of new concrete.
Traffic and parking restrictions
- Traffic will be reduced to the curb lanes through the work zone. Traffic will travel around CafeTO patios, or may at times be diverted onto Crawford Street.
- On-street parking will be restricted through the area to maintain traffic and to create a safe work zone for the crew.
- The location of the work zone may inhibit left turns.
- The lane restrictions and work zone will be cleared by Monday morning around 4 a.m. after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Work hours and timeline
- On Friday evening at 8 p.m. the track crew will begin setting up the work zone and begin cutting into the concrete. Concrete milling (dust controlled by water) will also take place in order to begin exposing the rail to be replaced. Efforts will be made to complete the milling activities around 11 p.m. On Saturday morning some concrete breaking will occur to completely expose the rail for removal and replacment.
- While most work typically ends at 11 p.m., rail work of this nature requires periods of around-the-clock work to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail, which will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete is poured in the track area and set to cure. The new concrete requires curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road use Monday morning.
TTC service - 8 p.m. Friday, July 16* to 4 a.m., Monday, July 19*
- 506 Carlton streetcars will divert both ways via, College Street, Bathurst Street, Dundas Street, Ossington Avenue and College Street.
- 506 Carlton replacement buses will operate between Dundas West Station and Spadina Crescent.
Thank you for your patience as we work to maintain safe streetcar service.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 647-461-5133, firstname.lastname@example.org.
53 Steeles East: Major delays between Kennedy Rd and Tapscott Rd due to construction.
Last updated 5:44 PM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service