TTC opens its doors to two new subway stations5/26/17 6:00 AM
This Saturday only (May 27), the TTC will showcase two of its stunning new subway stations on the soon-to-be-opened Line 1 extension to York Region, our contribution to the ever-popular Doors Open Toronto event.
The public areas of Downsview Park and York University stations will be unveiled for Torontonians to look around before these, and four other beautiful new stations, begin serving the full 8.6-kilometre extension to Vaughan when it opens at the end of this year. Elevator and escalators are not operational yet, so access to the platform for those with mobility devices will not be possible on Saturday.
We are now on the glide path to opening the extension. Our contractors are putting the finishing touches to the stations, parking lots and bus terminals. Testing and commissioning of assets is underway and the state-of-the-art signalling system is being intensively tested.
Bringing a subway extension to fruition is no mean feat, especially when it features new signalling, a new way to pay (PRESTO) and Wi-Fi throughout. Throw into the mix the need to get staff and emergency service personnel trained and safety sign-off complete, and seven months is not a long way to go.
We are proud of what has been achieved to date, so please do come along and visit your subway stations of the future.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017