King Street Pilot Study puts people and transit first5/19/17 6:00 AM
This week (May 18) saw the TTC and City of Toronto announce details of a year-long pilot on King Street – the King Street Pilot Study – that will provide greater priority to transit service, namely the 504 King and 514 Cherry streetcars.
With a ridership of 65,000 customers per day, the 504 is the TTC’s busiest surface route. As any streetcar rider knows, service can be painfully slow at peak times given the sheer volume of traffic and the ability of just one left-turning private vehicle to bring service to a halt.
Several years ago, I called for the central section of King to be designated as a transit priority corridor. It is good to now have a plan that restricts car access to short stretches between blocks and that also eliminates left turns. The trial section will run for a year between Jarvis and Bathurst streets.
I am convinced that this long-overdue initiative will bring service reliability and travel time improvements to our busiest surface route.
With new, high-capacity streetcars on the horizon for the 504, as well, we are taking decisive action to transform our busiest surface route. This is a plan that puts people and transit first.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017