TTC, Bombardier focused on getting quality new streetcars to Toronto5/12/17 6:00 AM
There has been much said recently about the difficulties faced by Bombardier in the manufacture and delivery of Toronto’s new streetcar fleet.
Various production and quality issues delayed the program, meaning that there are currently 35 new vehicles in service when, by now, there should have been more than 100.
I am confident that Bombardier has now turned the corner and that deliveries will now match the revised schedule. This will see 70 new vehicles on Toronto’s streets by year end and, critically, the end date of 2019 for delivery of the full 204-strong order remains as per the original agreement.
With the 510 Spadina, 509 Harbourfront and 514 Cherry routes now virtually fully converted, the next route to receive new vehicles will be the 512 St Clair starting this fall.
These new streetcars are worth the wait. They offer far greater capacity, air conditioning and they are a key element in making the TTC fully accessible.
My approach throughout has been to stay focused on the ultimate objective: to get new streetcars to TTC customers as quickly as possible. That is why we have worked through the problems with Bombardier and why the project is now on the right track.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017