Looking back on five years3/31/17 6:00 AM
Thursday (March 30) marked five years since I was appointed CEO of the TTC.
Anniversaries are a good time to reflect and, while much remains to be done, I am proud of the progress we have made addressing decades of underinvestment, and in modernizing the TTC.
In addition to the obvious improvements such as new streetcars, buses and the progressive rollout of PRESTO – as well as the upcoming opening of the Line 1 extension to York Region, complete with a new signalling system – much good work has been going on behind the scenes to build a better TTC for the future.
Last week, I took part in a nighttime track walk to inspect work we have been doing on the subway to improve infrastructure reliability, to replace or repair worn-out equipment and to recommission strategic assets, such as Keele Yard.
Also last week, it was a pleasure to attend the graduation of our next class of operational supervisors, resplendent in their new uniforms and eager to go out and do a great job.
Modernizing the TTC is more than just buying new equipment. We have been systematically updating and streamlining processes, improving our management team, and changing the culture to create a customer-led, motivated and more diverse workforce.
Such change takes patience and determination for the improvements to become apparent. But I am confident that, as we reach the end of our Five-Year Corporate Plan, the changes we have been making will benefit the TTC and you, our customers, for decades to come.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017