TTC committed to safe service, workplace for all3/3/17 6:00 AM
With an annual ridership of around 540 million, the TTC has always kept safety at the forefront of every aspect of its operation.
As a former Safety Director, I understand and embrace the concept of due diligence, in other words the need to constantly review our arrangements for safety, to ensure that we are taking every possible measure to keep employees, customers and other road users safe.
While the TTC has a very good safety record, there can never be room for complacency so we constantly look for ways to minimize risk. This is why, earlier this week, the TTC went to court to present evidence in our plan to introduce random drug and alcohol testing for safety-sensitive and designated Executive positions – including my own.
This week also marked the fifth anniversary of the attempted robbery at Dupont Station that resulted in the shooting of one of our Collectors. With due diligence again to the fore, we took immediate steps to better protect our frontline employees and we offered a $25,000 reward – still on offer – for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the assailant.
Riders can do their bit to help the TTC stay safe. Unauthorized access to the track causes delay and puts perpetrators at huge risk, and we will continue to treat such reckless behaviour with the gravity that it deserves.
By working together and drawing on the professionalism of our employees, we can keep the TTC at the forefront of safe transit operators.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017