Expanding and modernizing your TTC3/10/17 6:00 AM
Earlier this week (March 7), the City’s Executive Committee accepted staff recommendations on the alignment for the Line 2 Bloor-Danforth subway extension from Kennedy Station to the Scarborough Town Centre, thereby enabling work on this project to progress to the next stage.
Working with colleagues from City Planning, TTC staff concluded that a route under McCowan Avenue provides the most benefit from both a transit and a city-building perspective.
This is just one of many initiatives underway to improve transit in our city. The extension of Line 1 Yonge-University to York Region will open at the end of this year. Meanwhile, Metrolinx has completed tunnelling work on the future Line 5 light rail line along Eglinton Avenue, due to open in 2021.
In addition, very good progress is being made on the rollout of a modern and more reliable signal system on Line 1, which will allow for additional train capacity of up to 25 per cent.
Only two weeks ago, I was encouraged to witness just how much progress is being made on this transformative project. At the mere press of a button, our test train drove itself between St Clair West and Lawrence West stations using only the signal system’s new software.
While much more testing must be accomplished this year, necessitating weekend subway closures, the new signals will begin to come online this fall between Dupont and Wilson stations. We will then progressively convert the rest of Line 1 by the end of 2019, then move to Line 2.
These projects are part of a wider program to give Toronto the modernized and expanded transit network it needs and deserves.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017