New buses, streetcars, trains and signals all part of a modern TTC7/14/17 6:00 AM
A key element of our ongoing modernization of the TTC is the progressive upgrading of our fleets to serve the third largest transit system in North America.
This year, we will introduce 300 new buses, part of a wider, two-year order of nearly 800 vehicles, a move that enables us to phase out less reliable buses that are approaching the end of their working life.
In Scarborough, the first two completely refurbished RT units have re-entered service and two more will now be similarly overhauled as we life extend Line 3 until the opening of the Scarborough subway extension in 2026.
Forty new streetcars are now in Toronto, on track for a total of 70 by year end. And all 82 Toronto Rocket subway trains are now available for service on Line 1 Yonge-University.
Our plans don’t stop there. We will soon start trialling a new type of vehicle for our Wheel-Trans customers, one that retains ramp entry and that can accommodate multiple wheelchairs or scooters. On Line 2 Bloor-Danforth, we are already working on plans for new trains and a new signalling system, as part of a complete modernization package.
These improvements come with other projects, including upgrades to onboard information systems, the ongoing rollout of PRESTO, and our continued focus on keeping the existing network in a state of good repair.
The recent announcement from Ottawa that further funding for capital projects is available, subject to contributions by other orders of government, means that our modernization of the TTC can continue apace.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017