TTC station construction, system testing progressing as planned1/27/17 6:00 AM
Earlier this week (Jan. 23), we gave the media a preview of the new Downsview Park Station, the most southerly of the six new stations being built for the Line 1 subway extension to Vaughan.
The visit was timely, not only because the station is now virtually complete, but also because it is a good example of the progress being made across a number of TTC projects. All six of the new stations will be fully accessible and Wi-Fi equipped from day one. They will feature new paddle-style PRESTO gates and self-service machines for quick, easy entry to the system with no more need for tokens or paper transfers. Customers will be greeted by a member of staff not confined to a Collector’s booth, but deployed in a new customer-facing role to assist as required.
Train service will be controlled by the new signal system that is being installed on Line 1 in phases between now and the end of 2019. Starting with the first phase, from Dupont to Wilson in the fall, Automatic Train Control (ATC) will transform the reliability of Line 1 service, adding much-needed capacity on our busiest subway.
Last weekend’s planned closure of Line 1, between St George and Downsview, brought that new signal system a big step closer. For the first time, we were able to test the new software using test trains, a key step to proving the integrity and reliability of the system. The tests went well and we were also able to install around 30,000 feet of cabling and other equipment.
In thanking customers for their ongoing patience while we upgrade the TTC, I am pleased to report that both ATC and the subway extension remain firmly on track.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017