TTC prepared for worst of winter1/13/17 6:00 AM
The onset of winter brings an annual challenge for the TTC, but one that we are well-equipped to handle.
Over the years, we have developed robust winter plans, and acquired the right equipment and infrastructure with which to implement them.
The key to any successful seasonal plan is preparedness. We keep a close eye on weather forecasts from Environment Canada and, if any ice or snow is forecast, our teams swing into action.
On the subway, heaters are turned on to prevent ice and snow from impeding the movement of switches, and “storm trains” are run to keep the power rail clear of snow and ice buildup. Trains are also sometimes stored in tunnels if freezing rain or ice is forecast. When there is heavy snowfall, special rail vehicles are ready to be sent out to clear snow from exposed sections of the subway.
On the surface network, special equipment is fitted to streetcar poles to break any ice that may form on the overhead wires. We also ensure streetcar switches are kept clear of ice, while the City plows roads and shovels bus stops clear of snow.
A couple of years ago, Boston’s transit system sent a team up to observe TTC best practices. Those practices are continually evolving because we will not allow ourselves to become complacent. Our task is to keep Toronto moving, whatever the challenge.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017