TTC accessibility improves with elevators now at Ossington Station2/3/17 6:00 AM
Earlier this week (Jan. 30), TTC Chair Josh Colle joined City Councillor Mike Layton and Debbie Gillespie, Chair of the TTC’s Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit (ACAT) to mark the completion of elevator construction at Ossington Station, thereby making it the 35th accessible subway station on the TTC.
In addition to elevator installation there, accessibility work also included automatic station entrance doors and accessible, PRESTO-enabled fare gates.
Called Easier Access, the program will make the TTC fully accessible by 2025. The TTC bus fleet is already completely accessible and we are progressively rolling out accessible streetcars, with 30 new, low-floor vehicles now deployed on the 510 Spadina, 509 Harbourfront and 514 Cherry Street routes. A minimum of 40 more new streetcars will enter service this year meaning that, by year end, approximately one third of the streetcar fleet will be accessible. All streetcars will be accessible by 2019.
While the new stations on the Spadina Subway Extension will all be elevator-equipped, making our existing subway stations accessible is a real challenge, as there is often limited space within the station footprint to accommodate elevators. Furthermore, we need to keep stations operational and safe while these and other upgrades are installed. We take great care to work with ACAT and the local community to ensure that the work is carried out with as little disruption as possible.
In celebrating another milestone in the modernization of the TTC, I am pleased to report that this complex project was delivered on time and on budget.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017