Federal money helps keep the TTC on modernization track8/4/17 6:00 AM
Earlier this week (Aug. 1), I joined Toronto Mayor John Tory and TTC Chair Josh Colle at our Hillcrest operating base to witness progress on construction of a new streetcar facility that includes rail bending capabilities.
This is a new building that will enable TTC staff to prepare and pre-assemble new streetcar rail for future rail replacement projects.
While not particularly glamorous, it represents real progress in two important ways.
First, this work is one of many new projects underway that have funding from the federal government as part of its Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF) allocation to Toronto, with the balance coming from City Council.
Second, this project enables us to deliver increased operational efficiency. Consolidating all rail bending operations into a modern, fit-for-purpose facility will save the TTC $1.8 million annually, money that can be put back into improved service for you, our customers.
A raft of other projects is underway to make full use of this hard-won funding. Over the next two years, nearly 800 new buses will come into service, replacing vehicles that are nearing the end of their useful life.
These improvements are all part of modernizing your TTC and creating a better, more reliable transit service for Toronto. We are grateful to the federal government for their help in modernizing your TTC.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017