TTC Line 1 extension nears completion8/18/17 6:00 AM
Earlier this week, I took TTC Chair Josh Colle on a tour of three of the new Line 1 subway extension stations that will open in December this year.
All three stations – Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, Highway 407 and Pioneer Village – are at or near completion, as are the other three at Downsview Park, Finch West and York University. Together, they represent the most significant extension to the subway in more than a decade, and the first time that the subway has crossed city of Toronto boundaries.
This extension is state-of-the-art. Each station is fully Wi-Fi-equipped (as are all other TTC stations as of this year) and they will each feature PRESTO and new fare gates from opening day. Train service will be controlled by the new signalling system that we are progressively rolling out on Line 1 Yonge-University (with Line 2 Bloor-Danforth to follow) and the entire extension is fully accessible.
With around 120 days to go before opening day, much remains to be done. Literally hundreds of thousands of pieces of equipment and systems must be tested then commissioned before we move into an intensive phase of trial operations to test readiness and to familiarize TTC staff with the new facilities.
I will keep you posted as we continue the countdown to a real milestone in TTC history.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017