TTC prepares for a busy fall9/2/16 6:00 AM
With a glorious summer drawing to a close, we are getting ready for the annual uplift in ridership as schools return and commuters flock back to work.
Service will be added across most routes after Labour Day to accommodate this increase. In parallel, crews are ready to tackle the annual tasks of clearing hundreds of tons of leaves from subway track and station entrances, and on ensuring that vehicle heating systems and sensitive track equipment are in good order as the colder temperatures approach.
While this very hot, dry summer has brought challenges, it has also enabled us to make significant progress on the future Spadina subway extension and other major construction sites, work that is made easier by good weather conditions.
Over the summer, our drive to modernize all aspects of the TTC has progressed apace. We have continued to prepare Line 1 Yonge-University to receive the new signalling system that will go live in phases from the fall of next year. At the same time, our team has completed extensive state-of-good-repair work on subway and streetcar tracks to deliver more reliable service.
More than half of the 1,900-strong bus fleet has now been fitted with PRESTO smartcard readers and overall, PRESTO rollout remains on target to complete subway station and vehicle installation by the end of 2016.
Also by the end of the year, 30 new, fully accessible streetcars will be in service and I continue to press Bombardier to improve on both delivery and vehicle quality.
So, after a busy summer, we look forward to welcoming you back as we continue to drive up all aspects of TTC performance.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017