Winter already on TTC’s radar10/28/16 6:00 AM
With winter approaching, TTC crews are hard at work finalizing preparations for what some say will be a deep freeze this year.
On the subway, we are testing switch heaters to ensure that they work when needed and we continue to clear leaves that could cause track fires if left to pile up. Car heaters have been switched on, salt bins refilled and our fleet of snow blowers and other specialty equipment has been checked over so that it is ready to roll.
On surface routes, we have finalized winter plans with the city to keep key routes open and stops free of snow and ice. In our streetcar barns, work continues to get our old streetcars through another winter – an increasingly tough challenge after 30 or so years of salt, wear and tear.
On some routes, we will substitute streetcars for buses, a direct consequence of the delayed delivery of new-low floor streetcars. These state-of-the-art machines coped extremely well with winter last year, a fact that bodes well for the future as our new streetcar fleet grows.
The TTC is adept at dealing with adverse weather and other transit agencies look to us for best practice.
We aren’t leaving anything to chance, though. It won’t be long before temperatures plunge and we must be ready to cope with anything that nature throws at us so that we keep Toronto moving.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017