Seeing light at the end of the TTC tunnel10/14/16 6:00 AM
With the last year of our five-year modernization of the TTC fast approaching in 2017, our work to deliver a transit system that makes Toronto proud is coming together.
Rollout of the PRESTO smart card continues apace with all streetcars and around two thirds of our bus fleet already equipped, and with 40 out of 69 stations now having PRESTO. We remain on track for all vehicles and at least one station entrance to be fitted with PRESTO by year end and we are working with our partners at Metrolinx, who own and manage the system, to increase the number of outlets and machines where you obtain and reload your PRESTO card.
New streetcars continue to arrive, our new signalling system for Line 1 begins to be deployed in phases from next fall, and the spectacular new Line 1 extension to York Region will open as 2017 comes to an end.
In parallel, we are making good progress on modernizing the systems we use, on updating work practices and on transforming our culture to be truly customer-led.
With the customer in mind, we will transform the way we manage our subway stations over the next few years. Starting next summer, the Collector role that has served us well since the subway first opened in 1954 will be phased out. Stations will have one or more roving Customer Service Agents to offer world-class service to customers and to help keep service moving. They will be overseen and assisted by our Group Station Manager teams from a series of station hubs – strategically located facilities that will manage customer safety and service across the network.
With a continued focus on the basics that is driving down delays, and with the efforts of highly professional TTC employees, we are getting ever closer to transforming transit in this great city.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017