Reflecting on five years at TTC11/4/16 6:00 AM
This week marks five years since I came to Toronto to lead the modernization of the TTC.
In what is certainly the biggest challenge of my 27-year career, my passion for the job and my determination to deliver a transit system that makes Toronto proud burn as brightly as the day I arrived.
We have made real progress on many fronts. PRESTO rollout is going well and all stations and vehicles will be able to accept payment by smart card by the end of the year, a year earlier than was originally planned.
New streetcars are becoming more commonplace (although at a far slower rate of delivery than we wanted) and huge progress is being made on the installation of the new signal system on Line 1 Yonge-University.
The spectacular new Line 1 subway extension to York Region will open at the end of next year, and our backroom systems and processes are being overhauled. Recent record customer satisfaction scores suggest that we are making headway on culture change and customer service, as well as getting better at the basics of service delivery.
A lot remains to be done. Service isn’t as reliable as we’d all like it to be, with too many delays on subway and surface routes. In spite of tight budgetary constraints, we must get better at reducing the cause of delays, as well as their duration.
I have a fantastic team of 14,000 men and women who are focused on making your TTC better. It is their effort that has delivered the improvements of the past five years. I am honoured and proud to lead them and this great company.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017