TTC’s Leslie Barns opens its doors this Saturday5/27/16 6:00 AM
This Saturday (May 28) marks the official opening of the Leslie Barns, the TTC’s new, state-of-the-art streetcar carhouse at Leslie Street and Lake Shore Boulevard East.
We really look forward to welcoming local residents, people from across Toronto and various dignitaries to the facility, as our contribution to the city’s Doors Open event.
Leslie Barns is the first, purpose-built streetcar barn constructed in Toronto since the mid-1920s and it has been designed to house, maintain and service the majority of the new low-floor streetcar fleet that is being progressively introduced to transform streetcar travel.
Construction on the Barns faced many challenges, including the remediation of contaminated soil and the replacement of a nearly 100-year-old sewer and water main that runs under Leslie Street. The result is a magnificent, architecturally stunning facility that will serve Toronto and the TTC for decades to come.
In welcoming everyone to the Barns this weekend, I would like to especially thank the residents and businesses of Leslieville for their patience during construction. I also acknowledge and salute the project team and community office staff who all worked so hard to deliver this beautiful symbol of a modernized TTC.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017