Vital TTC subway infrastructure work resumes this weekend3/4/16 6:00 AM
This weekend, we will undertake our first planned subway closure of the year, in order to resume essential work to renew track and signaling on Line 1 (Yonge-University).
During this closure from St George to Lawrence West, signal crews will install around 37,000 feet of cables needed for the new signaling system. At the same time, track crews will replace 2,700 feet of worn-out track, and grind 6,000 feet of rail to ensure a smooth journey.
By giving crews around 50 hours of unfettered access to the track over a weekend closure, we can achieve the equivalent of five weeks’ worth of work, thereby bringing the reliability and line capacity benefits of renewed infrastructure that much closer.
We fully recognize that planned closures test your patience so we maximize the amount of other work done in the affected area while trains are not running. This includes escalator and elevator maintenance that would otherwise have to be undertaken during the week and proactive maintenance and cleaning of the entire closed section.
The new signaling system will go live in phases from the fall of next year and the whole line will be equipped by the end of 2019. Service reliability will be transformed and the system will enable us to run more trains to accommodate ever-increasing ridership. Once we have finished Line 1, we will install similar equipment as part of the modernization of Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth).
Thanks for bearing with us while we modernize the TTC. It will be worth the wait.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017