TTC playing its part in planning future transit3/11/16 6:00 AM
Right now, transit expansion is the talk of the town, and the TTC is at the centre of that debate.
Work is progressing well on the extension of Line 1 (Yonge-University) up to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre in York Region, an 8.6-km extension that will also serve York University and take the subway beyond the city boundaries for the first time when it opens at the end of next year.
At the same time, work continues apace on the installation of a state-of-the-art replacement signalling system to improve reliability and add much-needed additional capacity on Line 1. The new system will roll out in phases, starting next year, with completion by the end of 2019.
At the same time, we are working closely with our colleagues at Metrolinx as they continue construction of the Crosstown, the future Line 5 light rapid transit line that will link Scarborough to the west end and, ultimately, Lester B. Pearson International Airport.
Other TTC teams are working with the City to progress the extension of Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth) to Scarborough Town Centre and on emerging plans for Mayor Tory’s signature SmartTrack project. We are also providing expert input to the early planning stages of an LRT line along the waterfront as well as advising on a project that I have consistently said must be built, namely a Relief Line to take the pressure off the Yonge line and Bloor-Yonge Station, providing an alternate north-south route.
These plans form the backbone for the GTHA transit network over the next 15 years. Coupled with GO’s electrification of key routes and other approved projects, such as the Finch West and Sheppard East LRT, these are exciting times for transit and for us at the TTC, as we deploy decades of transit experience into designing the network of the future.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017