Staying cool on the TTC7/22/16 6:00 AM
While hot summer days conjure images of blissful days at a cottage or by a pool, TTC engineers are focused on fixing a problem that high temperatures and humidity levels have brought to some subway cars on Line 2 – subway cars that can make for a very uncomfortable ride for you, I know.
The subway cars that run on Line 2 Bloor-Danforth are air conditioned but, unlike their newer Toronto Rocket cousins on the older, busier Line 1 Yonge-University, they only feature one air conditioning unit per car; the Rocket trains have two per car.
On particularly hot days, the air conditioners are subjected to very high workloads as they try to maintain cool temperatures inside the car, causing a number of units to periodically fail.
While we undertook proactive work last winter to maintain this equipment, failures only manifest themselves on very hot days – when air conditioning is most needed. Our crews are working hard to fix defective units overnight and we are deploying a limited number of Toronto Rockets onto Line 2 at the busiest times to help mitigate the problem.
Ultimately, we need to equip Line 2 with new trains and these, plus a new signalling system, are very much part of our plan to undertake a comprehensive upgrade of our second oldest and busiest subway line. This will require substantial, dedicated funding and we will be making a strong case on behalf of Line 2 customers for a modernized fleet and signal system.
In the meantime, we will continue to do everything possible to keep you cool as we head through the summer.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017