TTC’s Spadina subway extension remains on track1/15/16 6:00 AM
Construction of the Line 1 subway extension to York University and north into The Regional Municipality of York, is now 80 per cent complete and remains on track for an opening date of December 2017.
The project has faced many challenges since the go-ahead was given back in 2007, including a start-up delay of nearly 18 months while funding agreements were set in place. As well, two exceptionally harsh winters delayed construction, and various issues regarding station designs and contractor performance also played a role. The project, tragically, also saw a worker killed on the job.
Fast forward to March last year, where staff secured the approval of the TTC Board and Toronto City Council to bring in Bechtel Canada Co. to help us get the project completed by the end of 2017.
Since then, substantial progress has been made. The track work within the tunnels is virtually complete, station construction is well-advanced and most of the escalators have already been squeezed into their new homes. Meanwhile, two of the new substations that will provide traction power to the trains have already come on-stream, further evidence that the completion date is in sight.
Our focus now is to complete station construction and move on to the installation of the many systems needed to control and equip a modern subway system before we then move to the testing, commissioning and trial operations phases.
While lessons need to be learned from this project that go right back to how it was initially set up, we will have six stunning, new and accessible stations to serve a growing region on a subway extension that will be the envy of North America.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017