Making the TTC accessible for all2/26/16 6:00 AM
I was honoured to accept an award on behalf of the TTC from the Canadian Foundation for Physically Disabled Persons in recognition of our work in making the TTC fully accessible at a special event just a few weeks ago.
Every year, the foundation holds a gala evening to recognize the work of individuals and companies in the cause of accessibility.
The citation for the TTC award noted the progress that it has made in recent years in making our bus fleet accessible, in the rollout of low-floor, accessible streetcars, and in progressively retrofitting existing subway stations with elevators, automatic doors and other accessibility features.
The TTC is fortunate to have as its partner, the knowledgeable and passionate Advisory Committee for Accessible Transit (ACAT) to help guide our progress in making the TTC fully accessible by 2025.
ACAT advocates on behalf of customers who can’t fully access the conventional transit system. It seemed fitting, therefore, to invite the Chair of ACAT, Mazin Aribi, to join me in accepting the award.
It is not an easy task to retrofit old stations that were built in another era. But as I said in my acceptance speech, the TTC will only be truly able to meet its vision of a transit system that makes Toronto proud when it is accessible to all, an objective we are determined – and on target – to meet.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017