New signals, subway extension key for TTC in 201712/23/16 6:00 AM
Last week, I visited one of the future Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) stations to review construction progress on this major addition to the TTC subway network.
All six stations of the extension are nearing completion. Escalators are ready for testing; equipment rooms are being fitted out; and crews are hard at work laying terrazzo flooring, connecting lights and fire systems, and completing myriad other tasks that are necessary before the stations are handed over to the TTC.
In parallel, we have begun the work of testing and commissioning literally hundreds of systems and thousands of individual pieces of equipment. This is a necessary part of commissioning a new subway and it will be followed by a trial operations phase where we run trains up and down the line, testing operational scenarios and familiarizing TTC employees and emergency services with station and track layouts, and the location and use of equipment.
The TYSSE will be fully PRESTO- and WiFi-equipped and will feature the new automatic train control signalling system that will roll out in phases over Line 1 Yonge-University in the next few years. A number of key project milestones are on the horizon, including real-time testing of the signalling system in January between Dupont and Wilson stations, the first section of Line 1 to go live later in 2017.
While a lot remains to be done, the TYSSE is on track to open at the end of next year. It will be spectacular!
On behalf of the 14,000 employees of the TTC, I’d like to wish you, our customers, a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. May it be a safe and joyful one for you and yours!
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017