Great news for TTC modernization8/26/16 6:00 AM
It’s been a good week for the TTC.
On Tuesday (Aug. 23), Mayor John Tory and Minister of Finance Bill Morneau announced the details of the first round of federal infrastructure funding that Ottawa and the City are making available for Toronto’s transit infrastructure. As staff, we put together a shopping list of shovel-ready projects, which will complement the work we have already been doing to modernize the TTC.
That same day, I was up at the TTC’s Wilson Yard to inspect progress on two of our mega projects.
Wilson Yard is being enlarged and remodelled to accommodate additional trains to serve the Line 1 subway extension to York Region. This stunning addition to our subway will open at the end of next year and will feature six new stations, including one at York University.
The new extension is being equipped with a state-of-the-art signalling system that will ultimately be fitted throughout Line 1 and then, Line 2. This system will transform service reliability and enable us to run more trains, thereby adding much-needed capacity.
This new signalling on the University portion of Line 1 will be introduced in phases, starting with the section from Dupont to Yorkdale in the fall of next year. This is highly complex work, especially when combined with concurrent projects, such as completing the new subway extension and the rollout of PRESTO.
Progress on site reassured me that we are still on track. Everyone, myself included, remains laser-focused on the task in hand to complete the modernization of the TTC.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017