Maintaining TTC ensures system is safe and reliable8/19/16 6:00 AM
Last weekend’s planned Line 2 Bloor-Danforth subway closure between Pape and St George stations enabled us to complete extensive maintenance work on the Prince Edward (Bloor) Viaduct.
Working hundreds of feet above the Don Valley, our crews replaced a number of the massive beams that hold the subway tracks in place, difficult and time-consuming work that can only be done during a protracted closure of the subway.
This project is just part of the extensive maintenance and upgrade work that we have been doing in recent years to catch up with programs that had previously been deferred.
At the same time, we are fixing worn streetcar track, overhauling elevators and escalators, and upgrading our bus fleet with the same overriding objective: to make your journey more reliable in the future.
It’s not just infrastructure and vehicles that are being overhauled. We are also changing our maintenance philosophy to one of fix before failure rather than fix on failure, adopting proactive techniques that will take time to embed, but that will deliver improved service reliability. Finally, we have ordered specialist maintenance vehicles to automate some of the more risky and time-consuming tasks, part of our overall push to make the TTC more efficient.
Clearing the maintenance backlog will neither be quick nor cheap and it is a real challenge to achieve on the lowest operational subsidy of any North American transit company.
But it’s the right thing to do and it will enable us to improve service going forward. Thanks for bearing with us.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017