Investing in improved TTC service for the future4/1/16 6:00 AM
On Monday (March 28) this week, the TTC launched five new and revised express bus routes across the city, making it easier and quicker for customers to get to where they need to go.
Funding for the five routes – 188 Kipling South Rocket, 185 Don Mills Rocket, 186 Wilson Rocket, 199 Finch Rocket and 24E Victoria Park Express – is part of the unprecedented $95-million investment in public transit that we were able to secure from Toronto City Council last year. These routes are the first to be introduced as a result of the TTC’s Express Bus Network Study. A long-term plan for additional express routes will be presented to the TTC Board in June.
At last week’s TTC Board meeting, I reported that the first three months of this year had shown an easing-off in terms of ridership growth, and that, while we will keep a close eye on this, it is still too early to say if a pattern is emerging.
In any case, I see our mandate to be one of delivering relentless improvements in TTC service, so that we may attract more riders onto the additional capacity that we are providing. To that end, these new and revised express routes complement other service enhancements that we have already delivered, including 10-minutes-or-better frequency, all-door-boarding on streetcars, additional subway trains in the rush hours and restoration of all-day-every-day service that was cut in 2011.
The TTC will continue to work meticulously to get the balance right between expanding service and tailoring it to meet demand. We must also continue to ensure that everyone pays the correct fare so that we may keep investing in service improvements.
Customers can play their part by having their proof-of-payment (POP) ready in the form of a validated PRESTO card, pass or transfer, should a Fare Inspector ask to see it.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017