TTC improving access for all9/25/15 6:00 AM
Last week, the TTC hosted its eighth annual Accessibility Forum.
Over a three-hour session, TTC staff, including senior executives, listened to feedback about accessibility issues from a passionate and well-informed audience.
The forum enabled us to report back on how we are progressing towards our goal of a fully accessible transit system by 2025. Our bus fleet is now fully accessible, as are around half of our subway stations. Work is well underway to install elevators at three more stations and we have nine, soon to be 10, fully accessible new streetcars in service.
Each year, we report on what we have done in response to the previous year’s feedback. Working with our Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit (ACAT), we look to change procedures and improve service to address any areas of concern.
Feedback this year was generally positive with customers reporting improved Wheel-Trans call centre response times and polite, professional Operators. More remains to be done, however, to address concerns about gaps between the train and the platform at certain subway stations, and to urge fellow TTC riders to show consideration for those with specific needs.
In closing the event, I reaffirmed the TTC’s commitment to providing an accessible transit system that makes Toronto proud. We will not rest until that goal is achieved.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017