TTC opens the new Leslie Barns11/27/15 6:00 AM
Major projects coming together, milestones achieved
The modernization of the TTC hit a major milestone last Sunday (Nov. 22) when we operated the first service out of the new Leslie Barns streetcar facility at Lake Shore Boulevard East and Leslie Street.
At 5:30 a.m., the first low-floor, state-of-the-art streetcar left its brand new home, travelling up the new connection track along Leslie Street, before heading west on Queen Street East to Spadina Avenue to serve the 510 route.
Along the way, boarding customers were surprised to be met by TTC staff, myself included, and informed that they were part of history on this inaugural service.
Delivery of our new streetcars and the Leslie Barns is just one of the mega projects underway at the TTC. By the end of this year you will be able to use your PRESTO smartcard on any streetcar – old and new, alike. You will also be able to board at any door, on any streetcar, provided that you hold proof of payment. By the end of 2016, the PRESTO smartcard will be available across the entire TTC – all buses, subway stations and Wheel-Trans buses.
Additional TTC projects underway include the resignalling of Line 1, which will provide automatic train control and more reliable subway service. Indeed, we have tested a train in automatic mode at our Wilson Yard and the system is working well.
Also, construction of the subway extension of Line 1 up to York Region continues apace, on track to open at the end of 2017.
In less than 800 days, your TTC will look quite a lot different as these projects come to fruition. Add to that mix, our ongoing focus on getting the basics right on your daily trip, and the overall modernization of the TTC is well on track.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017