Progress shaping up well on many TTC projects5/8/15 6:00 AM
This week, the TTC hosted a media tour of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) project to showcase the progress being made on this major addition to the region’s transit infrastructure.
The TYSSE extends the existing Spadina line north from the current Downsview Station, through six new stations to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre in York Region. Although various challenges have resulted in the need to postpone the opening date until the end of 2017, good progress is being made.
Tunnels are complete, the rails are largely installed, and most of the stations are well advanced to the extent that the project is now 70 per cent complete. We are now turning our focus to the installation of the systems critical to subway operations, such as signals, power, communications, fire safety and ventilation.
One stop on the new line is located at York University. The new station sits in a spectacular position, right in the middle of the campus. I met with senior officials, including the university’s president, earlier this week and heard first-hand just how important direct subway service to downtown Toronto is to the future development of the university.
Meanwhile, the refurbishment of Union Station is nearing completion and ready for unveiling to the public. The TTC is also in the final phase of construction of our new streetcar barn and connection track on Leslie Street.
When added to the planning work underway on Smart Track and the Scarborough subway extension projects, plus ongoing work with our colleagues at Metrolinx on the construction of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, transit expansion and investment in infrastructure continues apace in our great city.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017