TTC service improvements on the way!5/29/15 6:00 AM
Last Sunday (May 24), I joined Mayor John Tory and TTC Chair Josh Colle at an event in Scarborough to announce major proposed improvements to the TTC bus network, improvements that were duly approved at this week’s TTC Board meeting.
From September, we will progressively reinstate service to 38 routes, service that we were forced to cut due to budget reductions back in 2011. In total, service improvements will cover 61 bus and streetcar routes. In addition, we will expand the evermore popular Blue Night service to make it available within a 15-minute walk to 99 per cent of Torontonians – a figure that many other cities can only dream about.
These improvements were first identified in a staff report that my team produced last August. We drew up a suite of opportunities to improve transit this year – subject, of course, to available funding. This list included initiatives to cut crowding, increase service reliability and to add capacity to cope with ever-growing ridership, and we were therefore very pleased and grateful when this Mayor and Council overwhelmingly voted to fund the vast majority of these initiatives in this year’s unprecedented budget settlement for the TTC.
Over the next few months, we will announce more service improvements to progressively transform your TTC experience.
These improvements are a sign of our passion for customer service – and our determination to improve and modernize the TTC. That passion was on display again last Saturday (May 23) when we welcomed over 5,000 visitors to our Greenwood train storage and maintenance facility as part of the annual Doors Open event in the city.
Visitors of all ages were amazed to see what goes on behind the scenes to keep Toronto moving and to experience first-hand the dedication and expertise of our hard-working employees. My thanks to all the volunteers that made the event such a success!
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017