TTC will be ready to welcome the world6/12/15 6:00 AM
Monday’s (June 8) subway suspension due to a temporary outage of our communications systems, including our safety-critical radio communications, was both frustrating for customers and a setback of the TTC’s reputation as we strive to improve reliability.
Put in simple terms, a circuit board that controls our backup system failed, leading to loss of radio communications with trains on all of our subway lines and the Scarborough RT, leaving us with no option but to suspend service while we fixed the problem.
Customer frustration was compounded by the fact that our communication network was also affected, hampering our ability to communicate with customers.
A major element of our Five-Year Corporate Plan to modernize the TTC consists of renewal of key infrastructure. Communications systems are being upgraded and we are reinforcing contingency and operational response plans to get better at dealing with disruption whenever and wherever it strikes.
With the Pan Am and Parapan Am Games just weeks away, Monday’s incident was a reminder of the need for effective planning. While we cannot guarantee completely trouble-free running at any time, we have conducted extensive planning and we are undertaking proactive maintenance on key assets to ensure the best possible service as we welcome the world to Toronto.
Thank you for your patience on Monday. We will implement lessons learned and we will not give up in our quest to give you reliable service.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017