Progress being made on TTC modernization12/4/15 6:00 AM
Last week (Nov. 27), Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and a number of TTC Commissioners visited Wilson Yard to witness the progress being made in replacing the 60-year-old signalling system on Line 1.
Where the current, traditional system relies on fixed gaps between trains to maintain safety, the modern equipment being installed enables trains to run much closer together, safely, allowing much-needed line capacity once the system is in place.
Replacing safety-critical equipment, such as a signalling system on a subway system that must continue to operate, is not something that can be done quickly or easily – crews only have access to the track when trains are not running. We don’t have the luxury of a long-term closure of the line to install the new equipment, and the few hours afforded us each night after service ends during don’t allow sufficient time to get this complex work completed. This is why we use weekend closures, supported by a substitute bus service.
With the press of a start button, our guests rode a train under Automatic Train Control (ATC) along our specially constructed test track. Once installation and testing is complete, we’ll progressively introduce ATC over a two-year period from the end of 2017.
ATC is a key element of our modernization of the TTC. It will deliver greater service reliability and much-needed additional line capacity.
Thank you for patience during the closures to get this work finished; the new system will be worth the wait.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017