TTC’s Union Station on track for second platform this summer5/23/14 6:00 AM
Amid the ongoing and necessary debate about transit expansion, it is easy to forget how much transit-related construction is already underway.
In addition to projects like the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension and the Metrolinx Eglinton Crosstown LRT, the TTC is busy working on a large number of construction and expansion projects.
On Tuesday (May 20), I previewed the second platform under construction at Union Station that will provide much-needed additional capacity to one of our busiest subway stations.
Union Station was the southern terminal for the original section of Line 1 (Yonge-University-Spadina). It was constructed over 60 years ago with a single, and very narrow, centre platform that, today, struggles to cope with a daily customer throughput greater than that handled by Pearson International Airport.
It was good to visit the site and to see first-hand just how much progress is being made. Contractors are now working on the finishes to the new platform that will eventually service Yonge northbound trains when it opens this summer.
After that, we will progressively refurbish the existing University-bound platform, moving stairs and escalators to provide more space. The plan is to have the new ticketing and mezzanine area – the entire subway station, in fact, including access to the 509 and 510 streetcars – finished in time for the Pan Am/Parapan Am Games next summer.
Add to that, continuing work to build elevators, second exits and the construction of the new streetcar maintenance and storage facility – The Leslie Barns – and these are indeed busy times at the TTC.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017