TTC service levels reviewed, revised continually to address demand5/2/14 6:00 AM
At this week’s TTC Board meeting, a number of motions were tabled that asked staff to review options in an effort to expand bus service and reduce crowding.
Our role at the TTC is to provide a level of transit service that meets demand, but also provides our customers with a comfortable ride. To that end, we continually evaluate route capacity and reliability that provides the best possible service within the available budget.
Our planners use passenger load data and forecasting models to predict where service capacity needs to be adjusted, i.e. adding buses at certain times of the day or night. The TTC revises its service schedules every six weeks, and once a change is identified and approved, it is implemented.
Factors that need to be considered include the number of buses and operators required for any change, garage capacity and seasonal changes that respond to temporary increases or decreases to customer numbers.
Major changes require a longer lead time to allow additional buses to be acquired and Operators to be hired and trained. Such large-scale changes also require TTC Board approval to ensure that scarce funds are being invested to address the greatest need.
I will keep you updated through this column on the progress of any major service changes approved for implementation.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017