Exciting times at the TTC as new streetcar edges closer to service6/6/14 6:00 AM
Our modernization program took a big step forward last weekend with delivery of the first production – or revenue – vehicle of our new streetcar fleet.
For the past 18 months, the TTC has been testing the new streetcar using two prototype vehicles over every inch of track on the TTC streetcar network (305 kilometres in total). An exhaustive test program has enabled us to fine tune the design and inform the manufacturer (Bombardier) of changes we require so that the revenue service vehicles work reliably from day one.
Now that the first of these vehicles has arrived, the countdown to their introduction on the 510 Spadina route on Aug. 31 has begun in earnest. Operator training is underway and we are working on a comprehensive communications plan to ensure that customers are familiar with the exciting new features of the car. In parallel, sidewalk curbs are being altered across the city on routes serviced by streetcars to ensure customers can safely access the vehicle and ramp for accessibility purposes.
Earlier this week, TTC Board Members, City Councillors and media were invited on a special preview run from our Hillcrest facility down to Bathurst Station and back. It was good to be able to showcase the modern features of the vehicle, including its accessibility, air conditioning, all-door boarding and substantially greater passenger capacity than that offered by our current streetcars.
As full roll-out of the 204-strong fleet occurs, I am confident that customers will quickly appreciate the greater capacity and modern comforts that this state-of-the-art vehicle will bring as the TTC continues on its journey of a transit system that makes Toronto proud.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017