Paying a fare just got easier - PRESTO now on new streetcars12/5/14 6:00 AM
Last weekend, modernization of the TTC reached a major milestone.
After exhaustive testing, PRESTO smartcard readers went live on the new streetcars operating on the 510 Spadina, thereby marking the beginning of the roll-out of the new electronic fare card across the TTC network.
Three new, accessible streetcars are now deployed on Spadina and it won’t be long before the route is fully converted to these new, state-of-the-art, accessible vehicles. So it’s good to be able to offer PRESTO as the new, easy way to pay your fare.
With PRESTO, customers need no longer use passes, tokens or paper tickets. You just tap your card at one of the smartcard readers when boarding.
For the time being, if you need a transfer, you need to tap the adjacent transfer machine, but once PRESTO is fully implemented, your PRESTO card will serve as both your proof of payment and transfer.
We will now equip a first wave of subway stations and all new streetcars (as they are delivered) with PRESTO readers. This will happen during 2015.
I am keen to complete roll-out to remaining subway stations and our bus fleet as fast as possible. We will work closely with our partners at Metrolinx, developers of the PRESTO system, to advance delivery as much as possible.
The transition to a modern smartcard will make a huge difference to you, our customer. Line-ups for Metropasses, tokens and tickets will soon be part of our history, as we deliver this major element of the modernization of the TTC.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017