TTC gearing up for busy construction season4/25/14 6:00 AM
With spring finally here, the TTC is preparing for the impacts of what will be a very busy construction season in the city.
Together with the City of Toronto, we want to get as much construction completed as possible this year to minimize the amount of disruption during next summer’s Pan Am/Parapan Am Games. Road construction impacts TTC service and we adjust and add service to account for that. Add to the mix, a number of critical TTC projects and this will be a challenging year for the TTC, especially for its bus and streetcar services.
Among TTC projects this year will be an undertaking of major works at various locations along Queen Street East, which are linked to our state of good repair program. As well, there is the ongoing construction of Leslie Barns at Leslie Street and Lake Shore Boulevard East that will house the next-generation, low-floor streetcar fleet. I fully recognize the impact to 501 Queen streetcar customers and to those riding other routes that will be affected by this essential work. We will release full details of this work shortly, including a video that explains everything that needs to be done and the transit options available to customers during construction.
On Queens Quay, Waterfront Toronto continues to work on their transformation of the waterfront. Once complete, the TTC will install new rail and overhead wires to allow the 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina streetcar services to once again run the full length of their normal routing. Work along Spadina this summer will also necessitate a brief return of the Spadina bus along Spadina Avenue before the exciting debut on Aug. 31 of our brand new, low-floor streetcars.
Thank you in advance for your patience while we all work together to improve infrastructure and transit in Toronto.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017